2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

making an engine TURBO worthy...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Default RE: making an engine TURBO worthy...

Would you rather have a turbo 420a sleeper that barely anyone does? or a gst/gsx that alot of people have im preparing my 99 GS for a turbo atm

Old 10-06-2005, 11:58 PM

ORIGINAL: ryanx99GS

Would you rather have a turbo 420a sleeper that barely anyone does? or a gst/gsx that alot of people have im preparing my 99 GS for a turbo atm
whatcha do so far?

Old 10-07-2005, 02:13 AM

sounds fairly easy i guess,i have owned my car for about 2 1/2 years and i have always done all the maint to my baby(oil changes every 2000 miles oil filter the works,i change the oil a little early to ensure the cares health i also use synthetic,premium fuel everytime).But befor i had the car a asian dude had it bfor me and he blew the head gasket and the motor was totally rebuilt and she runs verry strong since ive had it...I will do the comp test tomm and to tell you the truth i dont know where the comp is so i will let you know tomm when i wake up,i am kinda curiouse myself to know where she stands...But my milage is at 114,112 do you think that should be a problem..Other than that i will start the turbo prject in about a month as soon as this guy on ebay sends the da mn turbo...And as for the manifold goes i should be ok on the welding,i am what some ppl call a profesional LOL........Josh

Old 10-07-2005, 02:14 AM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

whatcha do so far?
I bought My 1999 GS OZ for 6k at ELCO Chevrolet. It had a rebuilt motor with only 2,000 miles on it. Its in very good condition, some nicks and dings there but no big deal. Couple weeks after i bought it i had a transmission failure and something else went wrong with the engine. The past owner got a warranty when he had the engine rebuilt so the mechanics put in a new transmission, and it needed all new belts for free. I got it back a few days ago and put a new water pump in. Last night i ordered ~

- Tsudo N1 Extreme Catback Exhaust
- Slowboy Racing Test Pipe
- Nology Wires
- NGK Plugs
- Ported/Polish intake manifold/Ported and Polished 60mm TB
- Skunk2 Coilovers
- Front/Rear Strut Bars

Now, im trying to get another job so i will have 3 jobs to get the money for the HAHN Stage 2 TurboKit In the future, i plan on doing the internals. Im determined to make this a 10second car if possible.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Premium petrol at the pump EVERY TIME ICK bad idea [:@] No need to waste the $ when the lower burns aren't necessary.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:36 PM

duwacker- it should be alright, I got my car with 85 k on it about a year ago and I beat the **** out of it every day, now she is at 125k and going boost, so you should be alright.

ryanx99gs_ Like san said dont put 91 octain in it now, the car will actually be faster without it, plus that a **** load of stuff your ordered, good job on net getting an intake or heder tho, deff the way to go if your going boost. I regret getting those parts in a major way. Also good move on getting the test pipe because I can promess you that you will need to cut out the cayt. Mitsu made them out of carbon steel which = rust fu3k.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:53 AM

i used to own a 92 talon and the engine created a knock in the engin from not using a high enough octane so i think i will be fine on premium and i dont mind spending the xtra money on it either.......The Talon sounded horrible with that knock and i dont want it to be that way in my eclipse.....slow420A how much you boostin right know n e way,do you have stock internals??

Old 10-08-2005, 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: duwacker16

i used to own a 92 talon and the engine created a knock in the engin from not using a high enough octane so i think i will be fine on premium and i dont mind spending the xtra money on it either.......The Talon sounded horrible with that knock and i dont want it to be that way in my eclipse.....slow420A how much you boostin right know n e way,do you have stock internals??
That my of been a couple of things besides not putting gas with ehough octain in, broken knock sensor, bad injectors, small vac leek, bad plugs, there a bunch of things. But if you do want to throw the expensive stuff in just for the hell of it, I like you, What I hate are the guys who go and buy a c6 and fill er reg!

As of right now I am hitting 0psi on my boost gauge, shes stright vac power. lol I had orginally got a star stage 2 kit, but when mom found out how much money I spen on it she freeked, and made me cancle the order. So I did some research and decied to go custom, but I didnt know how to weld at the time. Ironically Enough Concept Illusions was releasing their kits for sale a week later so I went with theirs. I ordered it in june about a week after they were relased. I just got the kit 3 weeks ago and It was a mess. The Manifold was good, the turbo had a blown seal and needed to be clocked to fit the dump tube, the oil dump fitting leeked when I put it in the pan, my old pan decided to rust out so I needed to get a new one of those, The filter that they provided me with was too big and didnt fit, The charge pipe was painted with a really ****ty paint. The downpipe looked like a drunk monkey welded it, it also was missing a pice of flex section, It had 9 holes in it from the ****ty weld job, the fmu leeked, the fpr was ****, the fuel pump was/is good, the oil to and return are of proper spec, the kit did come with a compleat gasket set which was a plus. So far to make this kit work I had to buy a oil pan, sfmu, fuel pressure gauge, ss return line setup, intake soultion, repaint the charge pipe, weld in a egt bung, weld in a wide band bung, make my owen dp, replace gasket in turbo.... pretty much re build the kit. If it werent for the screw ups I would be pushing 5psi. What I have done to the car now is k&n cone filter, cai, 60mm tb, grounding kit, batt relocation kit, oil catch can/pvc valve bypass, blocked egr valve, fuel pump, hedder, guted cayt, 2.5 custom cayt back w/ dc sport round can muffler, power slot rotors, motor mounts, ss clutch line, clutch restrictor removed, plugs, wires, short throw chopped, home made shifter bushings, custom headliner gauge cluster egt, oil pres., and wideband, autometer dual piller with boost and a/f ratio. Whats wating to be installed are some kong rims 18x225, t3, and sfmu which is still in the mail, thats holding up the whole project.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:25 AM

Well thanks...If i had a c6 that bit#$ would be runnin premium all the time....as for the sfmu that you are waiting for in the mail i am waiting for my t3 turbo that i ordered like 1 month ago so i know how you feel if this dude is slo shipper.......when do you think you will be done with the turbo project.......what do you think of 110 octane gas,theres this place in my town that i am going to get like 10 buck of it in my tank and give it a rip....

Old 10-08-2005, 01:42 AM

ORIGINAL: duwacker16

Well thanks...If i had a c6 that bit#$ would be runnin premium all the time....as for the sfmu that you are waiting for in the mail i am waiting for my t3 turbo that i ordered like 1 month ago so i know how you feel if this dude is slo shipper.......when do you think you will be done with the turbo project.......what do you think of 110 octane gas,theres this place in my town that i am going to get like 10 buck of it in my tank and give it a rip....
Like I said before 91 is enough, but if you do what to do that to get a good rip go get some hott plugs and throw them in for the rip(make sure you take them out after the gas is gone tho) I am thinking of hooking up the leeky fmu for breakin then switching to the sfmu when it comes. The kid lived in bufflo and shipped it monday ups ground so it should of been here by now, kinda thinking I got shanked but it thing go to plan and I suck it up and get the ****ty fmu on ther I am looking at a launch date of next thursday.