2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

MILEAGE AND RELIABILITY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Default MILEAGE AND RELIABILITY?

Hey guys,

Let me say thanks alot first off. You all have been a big help since i have joined last week. Anyways, there is a very clean bone stock 98 gst for sale. The guy is asking $5500. The only problem is that its got 155,000 mi.

What is the typical life of these engines, and if the engine runs strong with no problems will modding it be o.k.? What do you guys think? I spoke to a couple shops about rebuilding but they both said if its running fine then modding would be o.k. I thought with those kind of miles that id need to rebuild.

Please give me your input.

Thanks,

Old 10-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Default RE: MILEAGE AND RELIABILITY?

with that many miles on it i'd definatly check for any kind of shifting problems, clutch sticking, and any ticking sound what so ever. crankwalk is the only thing i'd be worried about with that kind of mielage. granted that not every engine will crankwalk but if this car is one of the unlucky than the time is coming up for it to do so. ask him about how well he maintined it (oil changes etc), any ticking or knocking from the engine bay. if all of those are covered you should be a ok. obviously you want to check for anything like a blown head gasktet (look under the oil cap for any white residue. when you test drive it make sure you keep an eye on all the vitals (boost, water temp, suttering, bogging etc). good luck.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

with that many miles on it i'd definatly check for any kind of shifting problems, clutch sticking, and any ticking sound what so ever. crankwalk is the only thing i'd be worried about with that kind of mielage. granted that not every engine will crankwalk but if this car is one of the unlucky than the time is coming up for it to do so. ask him about how well he maintined it (oil changes etc), any ticking or knocking from the engine bay. if all of those are covered you should be a ok. obviously you want to check for anything like a blown head gasktet (look under the oil cap for any white residue. when you test drive it make sure you keep an eye on all the vitals (boost, water temp, suttering, bogging etc). good luck.
Thanks, alot for all the helpful tips.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Ive seen plenty of these engine go over 200k but its all on the owner. If it has been taken care of then you shouldnt have any problems. One of the major things with these is they are getting older and rust also becomes and issue. So thats another thing to check for. And yes modding is fine as long as you just keep up on the maintenance

Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

Ive seen plenty of these engine go over 200k but its all on the owner. If it has been taken care of then you shouldnt have any problems. One of the major things with these is they are getting older and rust also becomes and issue. So thats another thing to check for. And yes modding is fine as long as you just keep up on the maintenance
Thanks, alot sir. You guys rock!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 AM

Hey guys another ? in regards to crankwalk. I did a search and read that the 1st gen 4G63T engines didnt have crankwalk. Any truth to this? And if so, would putting a pre- 95 engine in a 95+ be o.k. or will it work ande pass smog because i dont believe it is obd 2, if that even matters.

Thanks,

Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 AM

also is 5500 a fair asking price with that many miles? i would think u could drop that down to at least 5k

Old 10-31-2007, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: sk8dudety

also is 5500 a fair asking price with that many miles? i would think u could drop that down to at least 5k
Yeh. If its in peffecy condotion but what car really is, you know. But there are plenty going for around 4500 with alot less miles. I am gonna bring that to his attn: as well.

Thanks,

Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM

no prob man, good luck, and like TE said, check under it for rust: check the strut towers, spare wheel well, rockers, ect... these things are notorious for rustin out