2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Need more low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Default Need more low end torque

Hi everyone. I drive a 99 eclipse gs and I wanted to get some more torque out of it. I am not sure if I want to turbo it. If I dont end up putting a turbo kit on it what would be the best thing to do to get more torque?

Old 09-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Default RE: Need more low end torque

More torque huh? Well, besides going forced induction(turbo, supercharger)..you're left with only getting a certain amount of torque from the 2.0 liter. It believe you can max out (streetwise) at around 180lbs. To accomplish that you're going to spend quite a bit of cash on engine upgrades. Camshafts would be the most beneficial. And remember, when the horsepower numbers start rising, generally the torque numbers start to take a dip after a certain level. It'll be a tradeoff, HP or torque. Torque rules the street, but hp rules the strip.

Another thing that you want to consider is the factory 2.4 liter stroker engine chrysler made. It was found in the Dodge caravan, some of the cloud cars, and now runs duty on the srt-4....so it's pretty reliable. The block is nearly identical to one you have(save for displacement), and thay are *very* cheap now from a junkyard. You'll get a great boost in torque and a slight increas in hp. Remember though that you won't be able the rev the engine as hgigh as before. I think you may only be able to redline at 7500rpm without having to change the hardware up top(head). Have fun and good luck.

Old 09-17-2004, 02:25 PM

i think putting a supercharger on it would do the trick because it is pully driven not exhaust so there is no spooling, but because there is no spool you lose a bit on the top end.

Old 09-17-2004, 02:46 PM

Supercharging is a very good idea, but finding the custom pulley's to fit inside our tight engine bays would not only cost a lot....but would be even harder to fit. You can fit centrifugal superchargers in the bay, but that's still a costly procedure. A turbo is the natural route, but won't give the low end torque you desire. It will give torque but at the mid-range and top-end levels. Good for racing, so-so for burnouts. Supercharger is great for torque though and brings out the Mopar-heritage in the engine. But the stroker is the cheapest solution by far. a member on here did a stroker on her 420a, she said it was pretty nice. Not sure what happened to her....

Old 09-17-2004, 04:45 PM

yea, the 4g64 engine is a great powerplant, it has massive low end torque... its hard for me to accelerate from a stop without at least chirping the tires, although i dont know if its the tires im running or the streets im driving on, cause both are pretty ****ty, but anyway you can get a lot of low end torque from the 4g64 engine.........

Old 09-19-2004, 09:59 PM

thanks guys for all your advice I really appreciate it. I think I am going to do an engine swap and then go from there. If you guys know any websites that I can go to I would really appreciate those addresses. Thanks again