2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

SAFC II

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Default SAFC II

well i bought an Apexi SAFC II now cuz the one in my car flipped the hell out and made the car die on the way home and i had to half rewire my**** in the dark with a lighterto get the POS to run again. im beginning to wonder if this this wasnt half my problems to begin with. now i sit here scratching my head trying to figure it out. I have a wideband a/f ratio gage, where abouts should i tune the ratio to at WOT. i know it should be on the rich side to help avoid knock but im not sure how far is too far. My logger isnt working right either, i think when my alternator **** out it took some stuff with it at about 18 volts.
Iveheard people say the knock display stuff on the SAFC is worthless to a DSM because of its "microphone" type sensor and you should only go by the logger. i dunno just going by what i hear.[sm=headbang.gif]
i wonder if i coudlnt make a GM knock sensor work with the SAFC only to give it a functional signal.
Definately something im gonna try to work with and will post it if i figure it out.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Default RE: SAFC II

WOT tuning with a wideband and pump gas, the WB should read 11.1 bud.
I can't comment about the SAFCII because I've never used one.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:10 AM

lol 11:1 is rich holy hell, whatever keeps the knock gone. i run 94 octane pump gas BTW. i might be able to get away with a hair more timing than some people. If imreally gonna crank the boost up to 23-24 (when the 20g was alive) i mixed 50/50 with 115 octane UNleaded race fuel.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with coupe. 11.1 is good. You probably could get away with 11.5 but no higher than that. And The knock is useless on a dsm. So dont even worry about it if you get readings

Old 01-15-2007, 10:15 PM

What size turbo/boost are you running.. I could get my settings off my SAFCII and give them to you so you are close.. But if your runnin a smaller setup were gonna have to adjust a few things..

Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

RRE has a good start for settings
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/newafcsetting.htm

Old 01-16-2007, 02:33 AM

ORIGINAL: TheAdvocate

What size turbo/boost are you running.. I could get my settings off my SAFCII and give them to you so you are close.. But if your runnin a smaller setup were gonna have to adjust a few things..
NEVER use someone elses tune... it is a very bad idea. I know your trying to help but still.

And yes 11.1-11.6 on pump is good area to stay and yes the knock readings for a DSM is usless with teh SAFC.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:02 AM

i'll be back on the 20g with around 25-28 psi once i get evrything back up to par.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:08 PM

Emonz, he is running just about the exact same thing that I am.. Just he will be pushing a higher boost later.. But to get it running he can boost about 15 for now and use just about the same settings.. Granted it will be a little bit different but not enough to hurt anything.. After playin around with mine, the settings someone else had on theres was extremely close to what I have mine after tuning it.. The difference between the 2 wasnt much and didnt effect it much.. Im just talking about the low throttle and high throttle. You can turn them all the way down or upwith the SAFC and it will just run rich or lean, but it wont hurt anything..

Old 01-16-2007, 11:17 PM

Emonz, he is running just about the exact same thing that I am.. Just he will be pushing a higher boost later.. But to get it running he can boost about 15 for now and use just about the same settings.. Granted it will be a little bit different but not enough to hurt anything.. After playin around with mine, the settings someone else had on theres was extremely close to what I have mine after tuning it.. The difference between the 2 wasnt much and didnt effect it much..
Ya andhe would be afoolto borrow a tune. I dont care if you have the same setup every car runs different and when they are used cars there will be ever more un alike. Your tune "could" be somethign to start with but what if his injectors are alittle clogged more and he floors it and he starts running lean and causes knock and detination it would end badly ya know.

I would strongly advise agianst it. tuneing an SAFC is one of the easiest things to do one a car

Quick Reply: SAFC II