2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Timing Belt and Head gasket removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Default Timing Belt and Head gasket removal

Hey guys, I got on Vfaq.com and was wandering if I really have to drop the engine or lift it? I was reading on vfaq and it said to support the engine and remove the engine mount. It was also telling me to remove the bolts off the water pump pulley (dont understand why?) I am in the process changing the timing belt and head gasket as you can tell from the Title. So:
1. Do I have to drop the engine or lift it?
2. Why do I have to remove the bolts off the water pump pulley?
3. Any suggestions on this process?

Old 12-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Default RE: Timing Belt and Head gasket removal

well to change the head gasket, you will obviously have to remove the head. i don't think you have to completely take the engine out but it would make it much easier... with the engine in there, it's pretty tight quarters to be working... i think it's all a matter of preference

Old 12-18-2006, 06:38 PM

I just dont have anything to pull it out with. Thats my problem.

What about the water pump pulley bolts? Why do I have to remove the bolts off the water pump pulley?

Old 12-19-2006, 11:36 PM

Quick question... if I remove one engine mount, will that allow the engine to fall loose on that one side?

Old 12-20-2006, 12:02 AM

You do need to remove the driver's side motor mount to get the timing belt in. To get it out, you can just cut the old belt. Not to mention, you have to remove the lower cover to get to the belt and the driver's side motor mount is connected to the head, so...yes, you'll have to remove it. You can support it from underneath with a hydro jack and a piece of wood on the oil pan or any where else (oil pan is your best bet though). As for the water pump bolts, this is probably because you'll want to replace the water pump while you have the timing belt off, otherwise, if the water pump goes, you'll have to replace the timing belt again.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:40 AM

1. Ok, let me get this straight: I dont have to remover the motor mount in order to GET to the timing belt. To get it out, I can just cut it (which makes sense... LOL).

2. And the motor mount is connected to the head, which I am also changing the head gasket, so I will have to remove the motor mount anyway, and I can support it with a jack and wood. So either way, the motor mount is coming off? right?

3. So the water pump would be a good idea to change while I am changing the timing, because if the water pump goes, then there goes the timing belt too, right? But what if I dont change the water pump, and just keep the one I have on there? Do I still have to remove it? I am gonna sell my car as soon as I get this head gasket in and timing belt...

Old 12-20-2006, 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: agallardo

1. Ok, let me get this straight: I dont have to remover the motor mount in order to GET to the timing belt. To get it out, I can just cut it (which makes sense... LOL).
Nope, you're correct, you don't have to remove the mount to remove the belt, but you will have to remove it to install one

2. And the motor mount is connected to the head, which I am also changing the head gasket, so I will have to remove the motor mount anyway, and I can support it with a jack and wood. So either way, the motor mount is coming off? right?
Correct, so in the long run and to help keep time in check, just go ahead and remove it anyway. Then put a hydro jack under the motor and support it.

3. So the water pump would be a good idea to change while I am changing the timing, because if the water pump goes, then there goes the timing belt too, right? But what if I dont change the water pump, and just keep the one I have on there? Do I still have to remove it? I am gonna sell my car as soon as I get this head gasket in and timing belt...
Correct with the water pump. No, you don't have to remove the water pump at all if you don't want too and if you're going to sell it later. Just make sure to tell the owner so that we can later tell him/her that, lol.

For more details to #2, picture this.....
The driver's side held up on a jack stand, with the motor suspended or helped up and to help relieve too much motor weight on the rear, front, and tranny side mounts with a hydro jack under, most likely under the oil pan, with a block of wood in between the jack and oil pan. The wheel should be removed to ease any movement issues and the plastic inner fender pieces (because you'll have to have that off to even see what you're doing) removed. The driver's side is where most of the work will be done (to the timing belt), the rest should be "easy".
The head should be done before the timing belt, because you'll have to remove the cams and cam gears which is attached to the......t-belt
That's just my opinion however and should be taken lightly.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:56 PM

silvercoupe is right. You don't have to remove the waterpump itself, but you have to remove the pulleys in order to get the lower timing cover off. The motor mount is actually connected to the block, not the head, but it needs to be removed to remove the timing covers, the studs also need to be removed in order to get the middle timing cover off in one piece. Just some advice, and you may already know it, but I had a hell of a time getting the head off because I couldn't figure out what the bolt heads were.. They are 12 point. You need a 12 point socket... i'm pretty sure its 13 or 14mm. I'm done about 5 headgaskets on this engine so if you need anything else, just email me. good luck brother and I hope that helped

Old 12-20-2006, 05:28 PM

whats a hydro jack?

Old 12-21-2006, 01:01 AM

1. Thank guys. That helped out alot. Just one more question. The head bolts are found after I remove the Valve cover, right? They are down the middle (or something along those lines), right?

2. Just wanna get this straight one more time. I dont have to remove the water pump, but I do have to remove the motor mount some time during this process. And I have to support the engine with a jack a wood inbetween the oil pan and the jack. Thats about it...right?

Quick Reply: Timing Belt and Head gasket removal