2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Transmission Question

Old 09-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Default Transmission Question

can someone tell me what stock transmission do they put on a 99 Eclipse GS from factory.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Default RE: Transmission Question

A ****ty one, why do you ask?

Old 09-13-2005, 11:07 PM

i didnt ask if is a ****ty one im just askin what model or what company?

Old 09-14-2005, 12:20 AM

lol its a chrystler one. If you must know, info taken from 2 g n t .com GENERAL INFORMATION
An all-new Chrysler-designed five speed manual transaxle is standard on Avenger and Sebring LX with the 2.0-liter engine. It has a three-plane shift arrangement with Reverse in line with Fifth gear. Oil capacity is 2.1 qt (2.0 L) of manual transaxle fluid which contains special additives to improve shift quality. Ratios are as follows:

GEAR RATIO
First 3.54
Second 2.13
Third 1.36
Fourth 1.03
Fifth 0.81
Reverse 3.42
Final Drive 3.94
Overall Top Gear 3.20

SHIFT MECHANISM
The shift mechanism has shift forks fixed to three wide-base "rails" that operate in Teflon(R)-lined bushings for low friction. Shift levers are located on top of the case for easy access by the shift cables. Separate cross-over (rail selection) and gear selection levers each have pure rotary motion to minimize shift effort. When down-shifting from Fifth gear, a cam in the shift mechanism prevents accidental selection of Reverse by causing the crossover lever to slide smoothly into the 3-4 gate without binding or jamming.

SYNCHRONIZERS
All forward ratios are synchronized. A "brake" on the Fifth gear synchronizer that stops gear rotation enables easy engagement of Reverse. High capacity dual-cone brass synchronizers provide low shift effort on First and Second gears. Paper friction material is used on the Third, Fourth and Fifth gear single-cone synchronizers to provide greater durability and resistance to clashing than single-cone brass. Third, Fourth and Fifth gear synchronizers are located on the input shaft, providing low shift efforts through lower rotating inertia that must be accelerated or decelerated to complete a shift.

GEARING
Two-piece, welded speed gears are shorter than one-piece gears to reduce shift travel and overall transaxle length. Needle roller bearings on all speed gears provide low friction and long life.

CASE DESIGN
The case is cast in two pieces -- bell housing and gear case -- compared to seven on some prior transaxles to provide better dimensional control and reduce potential leakage paths. Structural ribs on the case provide strength and stiffness with minimal added weight. The added stiffness reduces vibration and noise transmitted by the case. It also contributes to high overall power plant bending stiffness that results in a natural frequency above the exciting frequency of the engine at peak rpm.

CLUTCH
A modular 9.0 in. (228 mm) single dry plate clutch is designed to maintain low effort throughout its life. With modular construction, the clutch cover is riveted rather than bolted to the flywheel. The disc is captive inside the assembly. The modular clutch is connected to the crankshaft through the same flexible drive plate used to attach the automatic transaxle torque converter. The clutch is hydraulically operated.

MANUAL TRANSAXLE SHIFTER
A urethane shift **** with molded shift pattern nomenclature controls the three-plane shifter. To reduce the transmission of engine noise and vibration to the passenger compartment, the shifter mounting bracket and all cable mounting points are rubber isolated.

AXLE SHAFTS
Unequal length front axle shafts are used on all models. The shorter shaft includes a dynamic damper. All axle shaft assemblies use plunging tripod inboard universal joints to allow changes in length with suspension travel and steerable "Birfield"-type outboard constant velocity joints.
For durability and long life, molded plastic is used for outboard drive shaft boots. Molded plastic has superior weather-ability and resistance to ozone. It also has higher tear and tensile strength to resist damage from flying debris.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 AM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

SYNCHRONIZERS
All forward ratios are synchronized. A "brake" on the Fifth gear synchronizer that stops gear rotation enables easy engagement of Reverse. High capacity dual-cone brass synchronizers provide low shift effort on First and Second gears. Paper friction material is used on the Third, Fourth and Fifth gear single-cone synchronizers to provide greater durability and resistance to clashing than single-cone brass. Third, Fourth and Fifth gear synchronizers are located on the input shaft, providing low shift efforts through lower rotating inertia that must be accelerated or decelerated to complete a shift.
Hi friend ,

I have a 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Non-Turbo, FWD, 2.0, 4G63 Engine Model, im looking for a Synchronizers Rings for First, Second gear speeds. I Listen a scratch sound when i try to change from Neutral to First Gear and from first to second gear. I nedd replace these parts but in my country is very very dificult to obtain these parts . Can you help me to found these on united state E-shop? im from Venezuela and i need buy it over internet with my credit card or paypal account.

Thank you very much my friend and excuse my poor english languaje [&:]

Old 12-11-2006, 07:17 AM

my transmission seems to not like to bang gears like i shift, are they all kinda sluggish to shift or is it just my car, my neon i can just slip the clutch a little and slam the next gear so quick people say it sounds like an automatic, not gonna happen in my 1g

Old 12-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

have you check the tranny fluid. Thats where i would start