2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Turbo Lag Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Default Turbo Lag Question

When i first bought my GST back at the beginnin of the year it was great. The Turbo would spool up at its regular 3/3.5 rpm range and haul arss.

Now the turbo seems to be laging and the car seems to be holding back! Its getting annoying. It seems to fully spool up around 4rpms and it doesn't feel like i'm getting the same torque and horsepower as i used to.

Could over time the car lower its own PSI? Though i have noticed it had started when summer hit and there is a lot of heat outside. Could the higher temperatures plus an old SMIC be doing this?

To explain my annoyance, When on teh freeway yesturday I downed to 3rd gear doing about 50 mpg to pass someone. I reved the rpms high so limit the turbo lag however the car seemed to go "uuuuggghhh....OK" and then start speeding up faster. The Rpms raised to about 5.5 and i switched to 4th gear assuming the car would continue to speed up. nope, did teh same thing. kind up slowed down for a sec and then resumed speeding up. Ahhh. annoying!

I'm sorry if that didn't make 100% clarity but it was the best i could do. The best way i guess to descripe it is the car is holding back. like it has a mind of it's own and doesn't feel like putting it's full energy into driving.

any help appreciated. thanks!

Old 06-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Default RE: Turbo Lag Question

check all of your IC piping... a small leak could be ur spool time problem, and if you leave it can lead to other turbo problems. YES in the summertime your car won't run quite as well as in the winter b/c of the air, here in Charleston, SC the air is sooooo humid that it makes a HUGE difference from winter to summer. check ur piping and get back to us.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:19 AM

like SLOW420 says.... got vaccuum?

ever seen the inside of an engine after about 6 or 7 years of driving? there gets to be a permanant 'film' on the inside of the cyllinder walls and no matter what you do to try and clean it off, it will just stay there. until you acid dip the whole friggen block. missed any oil changes lately?

Old 06-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

the hot temps will make a huge difference in the performance of the car, as well as a dirty intercooler. but it should still be hitting the spool up the same.