2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Urethane Motor mount inserts

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Default Urethane Motor mount inserts

well i tried the search function but we all know that it's not working right now... so i have a few questions. i need to get my old inserts out of my mounts, the best way im assuming is to have them pressed out? thats what i currently have planned. also, for the front and the rear one the inserts i have look really strange and look like they'll be too small to fit in the mounts, does anyone know why that is? or is there something special i need to do to put all my new inserts in? lemme know thanks

Old 06-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Default RE: Urethane Motor mount inserts

from what i remember the side mounts need to be cut out since you are replacing the whole entire rubber inserted part.. and then the new ones pressed in. as for the front and rear. if your mounts are not damaged... the inserts actually just "go over" the black rubber in the mounts.... if the stuff in your mount is damaged on either of those you need to get a new one and then put in the inserts. dont try removing anything from the front or rear... or you will ruin your mount and have to go get a new one.

if you are interested.. for the front and rear (not so sure about the side mounts)you can actually use window rubber (the black rubber that is used when installing a windshield or window for the seal.) it hardens but is not as stiff as polyurethane. it fills the gap better then just an inserts. it reduces wheel hop a bit better, yet will soak up more vibration then the uber stiff poly pieces. if you are at all interested that way i can grab the loik. have to find it.. but RRE gives this as a very efective cheap way to fix wheel hop without adding vibration. it is a proven to work well method.

hope that helps a little.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:35 PM

thats awesome man thanks... so i need to cut out the old rubber peices in the mounts? and when you say "press" the new ones in, can't i just slide 'em in?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:40 PM

ya they just slide in. you might need to 'coax' them into place a little bit depending on how tight they are, but you shouldnt need a press to get them in

Old 06-22-2008, 08:54 PM

thats what i figured... and once i found out that on the front and rear ones the urethane fits in with the rubber it was mindblowing hahaha. but do i need to cut out the rubber on the side ones or should i just get them pressed out?

Old 06-22-2008, 09:21 PM

thats what i mean.. you dont have to press em in... but they arent always just a drop it in. sometime they require a little effort to get em in. there dont always just slide right in. sorry for the misunderstanding. and yes actually you should be able to press the out.. and if you need to heat em up a bit and get em out if they are a real pita. whatever way is easiest for you to get em out.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:26 PM

awesome thanks for the help!