3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Factory Recommended service approaching 100k

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Default Factory Recommended service approaching 100k

So i just got a 2000 GS Eclipse,
and its next to immaculate condition, all stock owned by a family man, the one and only owner, but one minor thing, it has 96k miles on it. He used it as a daily commuter, so i dont believe the engine has been raced or anything like that, it sounds and feels solid. The clutch still feels brand new infact giving me the impression thats his claim to "mostly highway miles" is pretty much true.

AND it has a clean carfax report

I am interested in getting factory service done to it to insure that everything is good before i start modding it. The timing belt has been changed at 70k, all preventive maintenence has been done on it and everything seems really good.

My question is: what should i have done on it and when? Timing and balance belt, water pump, accessory belts and such at how many miles do you think? Should i use this opportunity to install some AEM pulleys? Do the 3g's have a problem with crankwalk, or any other problems for that matter related to the 2g's? i do my own oil changes and i am going to install my own exhaust/intake and such, i just dont want to deal with the complications involved with doing any engine components. I am not going to do the work myself, i was going to take it to my local mitsu dealer. Should i look for a shop instead?

If so, does anybody know a reliable good shop (at a reasonable price) that they can recommend in the hampton roads area?

also, on the note of oil changes, about how many quarts do you put in a 3g, the engine is a bit bigger than the 2g's and everybody on these forums seems to pay more attention to the 2g's...

I appreciate your help thanks!!!

Old 11-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Default RE: Factory Recommended service approaching 100k

So far 17 people have looked and apparently nobody can or wants to help out...

[:'(]

Old 11-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Banned

Il help ya out

You should just for the sake of doing it change the coolant, oil, tranny fluid and that should be it really. The timing belt is recomended to be changed every 60k. Although it is designed to endure 100k. The waterpump should also have been replaced with the timing belt along with the belt tensioner but they are not 100% mandatory.

Also crankwalk has never happend to a 3g before. I dont think its ever going to. They have totally different engines. None of the problems in the 2g happen in the 3g.

The amount of oil it takes i am unsure of. It should say in your owners manual if the car came with one.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:42 AM

Thank you!

Old 11-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Get a 5 quart jug of oil and use the nifty little device installed in ALL vehicles called a dipstick. Also replace the PCV valve, Air filter, Check tire wear rotate as necessary, change the thermostat (Never know when it was done last and when it'll fail). Check the brake pads while rotating tires, check your spare for proper inflation. That's about all in addition to what Sebba said already that I can think of.

BTW this is the first time I saw this thread so [:'(]