Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Recommended service for 2012 with 31k

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Default Recommended service for 2012 with 31k

Hi,
Just brought my 2012 Outlander back from the dealer for an oil change. On the invoice, they've written that it needs a power steering flush and a regular throttle body and fuel injection system service kit or something.

Are these legit requirements or are they just trying to get my money? I don't really trust them, and for nearly $200 for each of the two services, I think they're trying to recommend unnecessary services.

Are there any services you would recommend for a car with 31k?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Old 06-11-2015, 10:02 AM

if you want to clean the fuel injection system, you can buy that yourself at an auto parts store for under $10...dump it in the fuel tank.

Power steering flush, I'd do. However, it doesn't have to be done at a dealership. Any shop can do it. you can do it yourself. You can use regular ATF or power steering fluid.

IMO, I'd also bleed brake fluid out. I do power steering and brake fluid every 2 years. Grand scheme of things, the fluid is cheap if you can do the work yourself.

Edit: without knowing your specific vehicle, I wouldn't know other stuff.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
if you want to clean the fuel injection system, you can buy that yourself at an auto parts store for under $10...dump it in the fuel tank.
Is that really all they do?

Power steering flush, I'd do. However, it doesn't have to be done at a dealership. Any shop can do it. you can do it yourself. You can use regular ATF or power steering fluid.
Do you have instructions on how to do this? I'm relatively mechanically inclined. I'm not afraid of doing it, and think I could probably figure it out, but would like instructions.

IMO, I'd also bleed brake fluid out. I do power steering and brake fluid every 2 years. Grand scheme of things, the fluid is cheap if you can do the work yourself.
Instructions here for this one as well?

Edit: without knowing your specific vehicle, I wouldn't know other stuff.
What information can I provide to help with this?

Old 06-12-2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by gossamer
Is that really all they do?

Do you have instructions on how to do this? I'm relatively mechanically inclined. I'm not afraid of doing it, and think I could probably figure it out, but would like instructions.

Instructions here for this one as well?

What information can I provide to help with this?
that's really all they do.

for power steering:
- jack up the front end of the car
- remove power steering return line from resivoir and insert into empty wine bottle. Secure wine bottle in engine compartment.
- start vehicle and turn the wheel back & forth until it will not pump any more fluid out....stop the engine.
- remove bottle and re-connect return line. Add ATF/PS Fluid until system is back to proper level. You'll have to re-start the engine to get fresh fluid pumped through system again and to get bubbles out.

nothing special about the brakes. I use a vacuum hand pump with a home made collection container. there are a million procedures on the net already, which depends on which method you use.

your trim and location always helps. that's why a lot of people put it in their signature. some years have 2.4L some have 3.0L...some have AWD, some don't.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
that's really all they do.

for power steering:
- jack up the front end of the car
- remove power steering return line from resivoir and insert into empty wine bottle. Secure wine bottle in engine compartment.
- start vehicle and turn the wheel back & forth until it will not pump any more fluid out....stop the engine.
- remove bottle and re-connect return line. Add ATF/PS Fluid until system is back to proper level. You'll have to re-start the engine to get fresh fluid pumped through system again and to get bubbles out.
I don't do this often enough, so I probably have the smarts enough to take it to a mechanic that seems trusted in my town. Hopefully cheaper than $189.

nothing special about the brakes. I use a vacuum hand pump with a home made collection container. there are a million procedures on the net already, which depends on which method you use.
I could probably figure this out, but maybe have the mechanic do it at the same time.

your trim and location always helps. that's why a lot of people put it in their signature. some years have 2.4L some have 3.0L...some have AWD, some don't.
I was thinking there was some more specific description inside the car (under the hood? on the inside of the driver's door?) that would be more precise. I really don't remember what features it has...

thanks again,
Dave