Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2012 Outlander vs. 2012 Outback?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Default 2012 Outlander vs. 2012 Outback?

So...I'm driving myself flippin' CRAZY going back and forth between the pros & cons of the 2012 Mitsu Outlander & 2012 Subaru Outback!
Two VERY different vehicles, I know.... I REALLY like various aspects of both vehicles, and some aspects..."not so much"...
I'm in Southern Oregon, so deal mostly with rain & ice ("some" snow) in the winter. I'm also one of the Search & Rescue K9 handlers in the county. We don't do 'real' off-roading with our private vehicles...but I need something that will consistenly get me and my dog up and down, muddy, rutty, CRAPPY, Forest Service, BLM & logging roads, for both training and actual call-outs...
Anyone out there who was also going back and forth between the two vehicles before deciding to go with the Outlander?
ANY other input that would help with my "momentous" (LOL) decision would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 PM

I also debated between the Outback and the Outlander this year. I ended up going with the Outlander due to a couple things. I fit much better in the Outlander, it had more leg room in the driver's seat. It also had more rear leg room with the front seat all the way back. The Outlander was far more interesting in the cockpit than the bland Outback. Also the warranty was better on the Mitsu......and also the purchase price. What I was going to use the Outlander for, I could not justify purchasing an Outback. For you doing SAR stuff, I'd suggest going with the V6 version with S-AWC. It will come in handy on the ice. I also used to do SAR here in AZ a few years back and really wish I had AWD back then.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:32 PM

Thanks "11"~ That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Have you done much Forestry/BLM road running in your Outlander? If so, what do you think? I believe the Outlander has about an inch less ground clearance than the Outback...not a huge deal I guess.
Also, in every "professional" review I read (Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc.) they always make it a point to mention the inferior "fit and finish", and materials of the interior.
Having compared the two and now having your Outlander...do you think that's valid at all for the '11 + models?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 AM

I have done a few runs on the forrestry roads up in the mountains. The roads weren't exactly graded very well and were rutted out. I have also taken it through some mud and yuck to test the AWD. I was pretty impressed that the Outlander kept on track and never lost traction. The ground clearance was never really an issue as I think it has plenty. The fit and finish of the interior of the Outlander is pretty good. However the quality of the plastics Mitsu uses needs some improvement. So if you're hauling dogs in the back, I'd suggest lining the back end of the car to keep them from sliding around and to keep the interior from getting scratched up. I will suggest going with the black interior versus the lighter color interior.

I don't see the 2012 Outlander changing much until maybe 2013.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks for all of your input... Very much appreciated!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 02:16 PM

I had two main reasons for going with an Outlander versus an Outback
1.) Price
2.) Room in the front seat and back seat ( my son and I are both over six feet)

I was comparing an Outlander XLS versus an Outback with a V6 so that I could tow something more than 2000 lbs.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:24 PM

I went to Edmunds to compare the Outlander to the Outback. The Outback has 2/10 of an inch more ground clearance 8.7 inches vs 8.5. With 2nd row seats in place the Outlander has two more cubic ft of storage 36.2 cu ft vs 34.3. One thing to consider is as a K9 handler the fold down tailgate of the Outlander should make it easy for the dogs to get in back. Also the Outlander has a better warranty 5 yr/60,000 mile basic warranty and 10 yr/100,000 mile powertrain.