3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

idle help noob!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:22 AM
Default idle help noob!

Let me start by saying I don't know much about car engines or their workings.. which is why I shouldn't have been ****ing around in there, but I ****ed something up and need help from my mistake.
I was curious as to the inner workings of the vehicle and I was exploring around. I was unplugging some electric pug wires and replugging them in just inspecting them to see if they were all in decent shape. I repugged everything in the same place.
Afterworlds I started my engine and kept it in park and it idled so low the engine shut of... a couple side notes... if I have the ac running when I do this the car idles really low but does not shut off. Also when im driving and I come to an abrupt short stop... the car will idol extremely low and then shoot back up to where its supposed to be.
Any help would be appreciated.. im looking to see if anyone can tell me what might be wrong with it so I can take it to a professional to have them look at that specific thing instead of having an entire engine inspection for 90 bucks... any help is appreciated, and yes I learned my lesson, don't **** around with what you don't know.... thanks!!!
my car is a 2000 elcipse gt auto if that helps any

Old 07-21-2007, 04:07 AM
Default RE: idle help noob!

This is hard to troubelshoot because we don't know what you disconnected. You don't have to take it to a shop if you already know what's wrong with it...do you? You can fix it, I would think. It's not like you took the motor apart..right?
You should look back in there to see if there are any disconnected wires. If you don't already have one, buy a Haynes/Chilton's manual. Make sure that you have reconnected the spark plugs in their correct order, make sure you reconnected the ground if you removed that off the intake manifold. Go from there and get back with us.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:07 PM

I've seen this happen before. It ended up the guy had a bad spark plug. Make sure you have all of your spark plugs plugged in all the way, and in the correct order. I would check that first.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Update***i was on my friends account when i originally posted this message, now im on mine**

Well they weren't the spark plugs. I unplugged 4 different ones. And like I said I don't know much about car engine workings.. so I guess I can try to describe what I unplugged to you.. one was by the battery... below off to the side.. the other was on the air filter right next to the housing box, one was below that underneath to the side, and the last one was on the top right of the engine.. plugged them all back in the same place.. and then the problem started. There isnt a car engine light that comes on.
A couple updates on the car tho.. it doesn't stall out when I start it up anymore. But when im driving and come to a stop it still drops below normal idle level and almost sounds like its going to stall but shoots back up.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:09 PM

You said its a v6 auto? Check your maf. Uhm... the one on the intake tube... if its loose it may cause soething like this... Whats it idling at usually?

Old 07-23-2007, 08:02 PM

yep v6 auto, and i checked that connection i think and its as tight as it gets i belive.. maybe there is something wrong with it? anyways normal idle was at about 500 600 rpm depending on a/c ect.. when i come to those stops where it drops.. itgoes to about300 200 rpmand if i going farly quick and come to a faster stop it drops even further 200-100 almost stalling out then shooting back up to about 600-700 and back to 500-600

Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 PM

It SHOULD idle at 750... 500 is real low. Maybe your base idle set screw can be messed with to improve things temporarily... but I would look into what connection caused this. Are you SURE you didnt touch any kind of screws near specificaly the intake manifold?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 PM

im prety sure i didnt touch any screws... and the connection seems solid...

Old 07-29-2007, 07:01 PM

maybe its ur map sensor, hey bud the names rollz i got a 3g eclipse, and i have the same dam prob, mine started after i put this cold air intake on , now my car idles really low sumthimes shuts down, sme thing when i drive and stop it idles realy low, i got a code from the diagnostic, that said my map sensor needs replacement , but i dont know where that is , please help thanks for any help bro,

Old 07-29-2007, 11:21 PM

well my batt got disconected also and i learned thatit takes the ecu a really long time to relearn the system and correctle idlesand that sort of thing... but i also got the throttle body cleaned and the iac(idle air controler) that took care of the stalling and the extreamly low idles for the most part... car still idles a bit low when driving at high rmp's and comming to an abrupt stop.. with the ac on it idles at about 500 -400 and then shoots back up to like 650. no ac it seems to be ok... im now just driving around town giving it a week to see if it relearns . but if not ill prob get the idle level upped a couple 100 rpms