3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Need spare key for Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Default RE: Need spare key for Spyder

I know the latter part is a bit innacurate. The key has to be of the correct type for the car, but it's not special for the VIN#, more likely, it would be special for the computer in a given model of car. I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but there are aftermarket keys that work in these cars, provided you can program them. I did read that the same method that can be used on a GM system will work on an eclipse, but you need two working keys to program your own key. Since my brother is getting two keys sent to him, maybe I will have him get the first key programmed the normal way, and then I will try to program the second key myself, and post if the method actually works.

For anyone who wants to try, I was informed that you insert your first key, turn the ignition to the ON position, but don't engage the starter. Wait for five seconds, quickly remove the key, and insert the next known good key, and wait for five seconds, again without starting the car. Then quickly remove and insert the unprogrammed key. Turn this one on and wait for five seconds, and then start the engine. This method does work on GM vehicles, needing only one good key. Hopefully it works on Mitsubishi. The second method for programming GM passkeys (without having a functional original key) though, I highly doubt will work on any vehicle other than GM's, so I won't post that here.. If anyone tries the first method and finds it to work, then I'm glad the info helps, if anyone has tried and knows the method doesn't work, I'd appreciate hearing it...and if I get it to work, as I said, I'll post the results..

Old 04-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Default RE: Need spare key for Spyder

If that's the case, where do you plan on getting another key? Let me know as I need to get another one.

http://www.streetkeys.com has pretty good deals...50% off dealer price for master keys