3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

SUNROOF LEAK!!! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:09 AM
Default SUNROOF LEAK!!! HELP!!!!

Hi all...

I got a 2000 Eclipse GT, and there is a leak in the sunroof... I park uphill and the rear passenger seat (drivers side) is soaked... This has resulted in a mildew/mold smell... I have cleaned the mold out, but need advice on repairing / sealing the sunroof... any ideas???

Old 01-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned
Default RE: SUNROOF LEAK!!! HELP!!!!

Did you check to see if the gutter drains are clear and clean?

Old 01-31-2006, 01:13 AM

The sunroof lid isn't supposed to be 100% leak free. The seal around the lid provides a calibrated leak that the sunroof drains should be able to keep up with. To test them, park uphill in the same position as you noted, open the sunroom completely- and pour some water into the sunroof tub beneath the lid. You should be able to see the water you poured drain out of the rear passenger wheel well area. Do the same thing parking downhill as you will see it drain from the front wheel area. It would be better to test each corner independantly just to see if it can keep up with the water flow.
Keep in mind that the 2K Eclipse is known to have water leaks from other areas of the body. I have personally torn down interiors in search of water leaks from these vehicles.

Joel, CA

Old 01-31-2006, 10:22 AM

I have just about got the same problem in my 99 eclipse.I washed it yesterday and water came in from the top of the car.How do I clean the drains?

Old 01-31-2006, 11:49 AM

If you pull down the headliner at each corner one at a time- you'll see the plastic drain hoses clamped to the sunroof tub. The fastest and easiest method is to remove the hoses- and blow compressed air down them. Also be sure to blow compressed air- or just push a 12 gauge wire through the tube to which they attatch at the tub (be careful as some water may come down at this point if the tube is clogged and there's water standing behind it). You can do this one at a time. You may not be able to access the drains from the top but try to remove any leaves or debris that have accumilated there if any. Once the area is cleaned and everything works as normal- try not to park your vehicle with the sunroof open (especially sitting under a tree) as this is usually the main reason debris gets in there. Good Luck!

Joel, CA