Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2011 Outlander XLS Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Default 2011 Outlander XLS Audio Upgrade

Hi Everyone. Newbie to the forum. Been scouring and reading various comments on this subject for the last few hours. Have gained a lot of knowledge. Hoping I could get some thoughts/opinions on my specific situation:

Have a brand new 2011 Outlander XLS with the basic (non RF) 6-speaker audio set up. As a music lover (and past bass-head... back in my early years) I'm looking to add an amp and small sub to the equation. Not looking to win competitions.... just wanting a little more power in the bottom end. I have money set aside to do it right... but I'm not gonna dump a ton into it. Some of my issues, however, are as follows....

ISSUE #1: Stock head unit. From what I've read around this forum, the non-RF head unit does not have RCA outs, making it not ideal for installing an aftermarket amp. I know you can buy a LOC, as one solution or buy a new head unit. What's important to me is keeping the functionality of the Mitsu hands free/Bluetooth/steering controls, etc. Which ultimately means.... I'd like to keep the existing, stock head unit if possible. Thoughts?

ISSUE #2: If I can work out Issue #1, I'm looking to install a basic amp in order to drive a 10" sub. I've always been a RF guy... but brands are not the end all for me. Just looking for something that will integrate well. Any ideas?

ISSUE #3: The sub. I use the cargo area. I have dogs and that's their space. Ideally, I'd love to have the sub built into the rear side panel (like the RF trim levels) but from what I've read it's kinda hard (and expensive) to find the Mitsu sub enclosure. So, with that said, what are the chances of building an enclosure similar to the stock sub enclosure? I know there's a cubby hole/closet right there... that gives some space. But the exterior would need to be built. Do-able?

ISSUE #4: Installation. I WILL NOT be doing any of the install myself. I will working with a local installer. But before I go and turn over the keys.... I want to know how many snags there are going to be in my plan. Again, I'm prepared to spend some money... but not a small fortune.

Above all, and most importantly, I don't wanna jack up my new car (and the features I've grown to love) just to chase some increased bottom end. If it's something that's do-able, great. Otherwise, I may end up just learning to enjoy the built in audio as-is.

Any thoughts, experiences, etc would be greatly appreciated!! Thx- from cold rainy Portland, OR!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 AM

I will be following this thread, I have a 2010 that I would like to do the same thing to. I also have a non-RF outtie. Hopefully someone can help!?!?