Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

I turn off car, speakers go "whoomp"

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Default I turn off car, speakers go "whoomp"

I have a 2000 eclipse. About six months ago I had all new speakers including a box with 2 twelves. Im poor so I still have factory radio. My friend who installs at best buy, (and whos not answering his phone atm), installed it all so im pretty confident in his work.

My problem is this...starting a few days ago the boxed speakers (2x 12") stopped working. I dont get any sound out of them. The rear speakers, which the subs are run off of, work fine. The amp light is green and all the fuses are good. When I turn the car off the subs make a loud "whoomp" sound.

Any help is apprecited!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Default RE: I turn off car, speakers go "whoomp"

Its been a couple days and no replys so....either its an easy problem and im just an idiot or its complicated and no one answer to give me eh?I did some searching and most thoughts point to a faulty ground. I disconnected my box completely and ran new ground/power lines and that didnt work. I unplugged the speakers and tried plugging them directly into the amp one at a time, that didnt work. Later today my buddy is brining over a meter to check amp/speakers.

Also I noticed last night that my passenger headlight is very dim, almost out. The driver side is fine.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 AM

It could be a number of things. Usually if you keep the factory head unit you would have to solder an inline switch to turn off the amp through the remote wire. mine wasn't connected good at first and ever time i turned my car off the sub would still be going. another thing is the amp is just no good. My first system was a Jensen 600 watt 4 channel and a Jensen 300 watt 2 channel and they both would cut in and out whenever they felt like it. Like the amp would be on and everything was connected but nothing played. What kind of amp are you using

Old 12-23-2008, 10:20 AM

You said you have factory radio... so youre using a hi/low in there somewhere? It would be in line TO the amp.
Check on it. Make sure everything is connected still. Also, some of them have there own ground that needs to be attached.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the replys. Ya im using a high low but I havent checked on the connections yet because I need to remove my seat to get to it. Ill do that when I get a chance. Im not positive but I think he jumped the remote wire just before the fuse box on AC line. Im beginning to think the amp is done. I dont remember the name off hand but ill post it later after we check with the meter.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:06 PM

The amp should show fail status (Red or no LED) if its dead..

Old 12-23-2008, 09:16 PM

If there's a thump comming from the subs when the amp is kicked on, sounds like there's some sort of spike going through the amp turn on wire. try throwing a 1.3k ohm resistor on there and see if it fixes it.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:53 PM

It was only when turning the car off and I had no sound through the speakers. But anyway....xmas got me sidetracked and I never got to use the meter on it but I figured it out. I dont know why but the amp went bad. I had some old speakers and amp and I changed parts till it worked. So today I went out and bought a kenwood amp, (im hoping those arent bad), and now it sounds better then it did before.

A couple quick questions though...its a two channel amp so I ran pos-pos neg-neg per channel. What benefit would I get if I ran them both through one channel to lower the ohms? My old set up was run for the lower ohms but wasnt done by me. Also..if I do run it for lower ohms would I need to turn the gain down?

Thanks

Old 12-27-2008, 07:31 PM

Is the amp a bridgeable amp? If not, i wouldnt suggest doing that. If so, it will simply be twice the power running to that speaker. The resistance will drop though, like you said. Make sure the speaker can handle 2ohms or is able to even take lower. If youre not careful, thats a good way to mutilate audio equipment.