Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Upgrading HU for 09 Lancer GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Default Upgrading HU for 09 Lancer GTS

I'm a newbie and I just got my first Mitsu, an 09 Lancer GTS. Got the sound package to go with it but not the Navi unit. The Rockford fosgate audio system seems enough for me, but I don't like the tiny display unit on the dash. Can I upgrade to a biggerdisplay or a new head unit to work with the currentaudio system and still keep the 650-watt power, 6-CD changer and steering wheel controls? Any suggestions?

Hope you can help me out. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Default RE: Upgrading HU for 09 Lancer GTS

you can put any sound unit with any other sound unit just depends how you want it and how much work you want to put in to it. Your disc changer is probably built in to your cd player so if you change head units you would have to buy another disc changer. i would recommend doing some research on some cd players that can adapt to the steering wheel controls (cause you need an expensive adapter to keep them) and can it play mp3 cds (cheaper than buying a disc changer because thats one more remote wire to run). As far as brands go, Alpine, Clarion, and JVC is all Ive used.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:38 PM

I've not messed with the latest generation of Lancer yet, but you'll have to integrate with the factory amplifier in some way, shape or form. You will lose your factory changer, so the only way to have a changer is to purchase one that is compatible with whatever you're using as an upgraded unit. If you're looking for something to upgrade from factory, I'd recomend a Double Din in-dash dvd/nav unit. This will get you all the features you would have gotten with the factory nav package at a much reduced price.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:29 PM

Thanks! I'm more willing to lose the CD changer since I use an iPod anyway, but wouldn't want to lose the steering wheel integration.I'll start looking for compatible units then.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 PM

Pioneer units are all compatible with the iSimple stuff. I know there's more out there, but that's what I know off the top of my head since I carry them in my shop. If you're looking for iPod integration, the old Pioneer D3 had an amazing interface (had one in my Mirage). The new F series Pioneers are ok, not my favorite but they do the job quite nicley