Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

02 Galant Many problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Default 02 Galant Many problems!!!

Sup guys! I'm new here. Looks like a good forum. I'm posting for my dad. Anyways, he has a 4cyl 02 Galant ES Automatic. Everything stock. Maintained pretty good. Basic things. Oil and filter every 2500-3000mi. Tranny Fluid every 20k. The car has around 130,000. No tune up has been done except spark plugs. Air filter is clean

Anyways some of my problems

Check engine soon light has come on. ( going to go to Kragen to check it)

When flooring it from a full stop, engine stutters. Hesitation. But once around 20mph flooring it, it is smooth and good power.

Timing belt was changed by a really bad autoshop. Each time i hit 4000RPM, the gas pedal begins to shake badly.

I haven't done major maintenance. like fuel filter or fuel pump.

Any suggestions? At all? Anything would help. I'm going to take out the fuel injector and see if theres any carbon build up. Anything else I should look for? THANK-YOU!

*edit BTW what is this thing about ECM reflash? Is it for the 02 Galant?

Old 01-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Default RE: 02 Galant Many problems!!!

ORIGINAL: TheKid

Check engine soon light has come on. ( going to go to Kragen to check it)

When flooring it from a full stop, engine stutters. Hesitation. But once around 20mph flooring it, it is smooth and good power.
sounds like its misfiring.. could be a bunch of reasons. start by getting the trouble codes out of the PCM.
Timing belt was changed by a really bad autoshop. Each time i hit 4000RPM, the gas pedal begins to shake badly.
one (if not both) of the balance shafts are out of synch.. it happens a lot when morons try to set up timing belts, because the oil pump/balance shaft combo is actually geared at a 2 to 1 ratio. Meaning you can line up the timing marks, but be one full rotation out of synch.
that will actually amplify vibration rather than eliminate it.
I haven't done major maintenance. like fuel filter or fuel pump.
no filter to change. Its part of the pump assembly, and requires no service.

*edit BTW what is this thing about ECM reflash? Is it for the 02 Galant?
there is a software update for a potential false misfire code.. meaning the car may not be misfiring, but pops a code for it anyway.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:12 PM

Thanks manybrews! Anyways, I went to Autozone and got the code. It was P0304. #4 Cylinder Misfiring. Then I went back home and switch the 2 ignition coils. now the CEL light was on but it was on #2. Now this didn't make sense! the firing order was 1-3-4-2. Anyone make of this?

As for the balancer, we'll see. In my autoshop at my HS, we checked out the mounts and the front mount was bad. Hope whgen we replace this, the vibration will be better!

Old 01-21-2007, 09:36 PM

Another add to my last post.

We replaced all 4 spark plugs. The hesitation/stutter got little better but its still there. The hesitation is now more close apart rather than far apart. Hesitation is always there when; I am at below 20mph and floored it.After 20mph+ The hesitation is gone. Vibration is still there also

Old 01-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

what about the wires?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:30 PM

I am thinking of that, but the coils on the wires cost like 90 for 1. And i need 2. I hope its not the coils.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

i would start with the wires. I had a similiar issue when i first bought my car and it ended up just being wires that needed to be replaced

Old 01-24-2007, 06:53 PM

i'm going to replace it soon. Looks dry. Anyways, what's the lifespan of those things and coils? miles? years?

Old 01-29-2007, 01:38 AM

i would change the wires and not the coils
because on your 2.4 litre each coil runs 2 cylinders. your gonna need the two wires and the 2 coil boots. and the vibration should go away after you change your mount. as for the timing belt. i would take it back to them if it still vibrates after all that and make em reimburse you for your wasted time and labor. it really burns my *** when a supposent proffetiional cantdo a simple job such as a timing belt. and then give it back and act like its perfect. Shops like that dont deserve to be in any kind of buisness.
ok ill stop bitching. anyhow let me know how it is after the mount, wire and boot instalation.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Well, I just bought the ignition coil and installed it on the problem area. STILL! WTF!!! It's still hesistating. Sparkplugs are new, just not cutting it. I'm going to atuozone to see what the code says. It was P0302 and i replaced that port and still. if i says p0301 or something its the wires, but this is the ignition.

Any suggestions? Do you guys thing its the connector that connects to the coil?