Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

2006 Outlander - no compression

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Default 2006 Outlander - no compression

I'm trying to solve this issue and hoping for advice. The water pump on my Outlander failed while driving on the highway and I experienced power loss and of course overheating before shutdown. The water pump bearing went and the vanes cut through the housing sending shrapnel into the timing gear area. I replaced the water pump myself and while doing so I noticed all the timing marks lined up so I didn't feel there would be a timing issue. However the engine turns over but does not start. I cannot get any compression on any of the cylinders. I took the camshaft cover off and everything seems to be turning as it should.
The only things I can think of that would cause zero compression would be the head gasket or bent valves. I can't see any sign of water in the oil so I am guessing the worst since this is an interference engine. I thought I would post here in case anyone had any other thoughts.
Also any ideas how I can confirm if the valves are shot without tearing down the engine too much?

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:59 PM

I just thought I'd mention that I'm going to borrow another compression tester in case the one I just bought is faulty. I'll report back when I've re-tested.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by rickb27
I just thought I'd mention that I'm going to borrow another compression tester in case the one I just bought is faulty. I'll report back when I've re-tested.
Couldn't find another compression tester to borrow but used my air compressor on my tester and it seems to work so I'm back to guessing the worst case scenario in bent valves. I'm going to leave this until next week when it is supposed to warm up a bit and try some other checks.