Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Eclipse Spyder Charging Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Default 97 Eclipse Spyder Charging Issues

I have an Eclipse Spyder GST 1997.

Off road for two years while I put on new head,turbo and clutch.

Battery went flat while she sat. I put a charger on it but the battery would not take a charge. I put in a new battery and the car started and ran fine but died about 20 minutes later.

The new battery was completely drained. THE BATTERY VOLTAGE WARNING LIGHT NEVER CAME ON. However my radio died and my oil pressure gauge went to "0" just before the car stalled.

I am afraid I might have fried something when I put the charger on the old battery as I think it might have been shorted out.

Anyway I took the new battery out of the car recharged it and reinstalled it. Before starting my battery voltage is 12.6V. after starting 12.2V. Obviously the alternator is not charging but I'm not sure if it's the alternator, engine module or has to do with the Battery voltage light not coming on.

Any help sorting this out would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:43 PM

measure the alternator output, probably a good place to start. but if it's decreasing while car is running, it's a safe bet it's poked.

you CAN rebuild an alternator,, usually it's the rectifier that goes. much cheaper than a whole new unit.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Akzle
measure the alternator output, probably a good place to start. but if it's decreasing while car is running, it's a safe bet it's poked.

you CAN rebuild an alternator,, usually it's the rectifier that goes. much cheaper than a whole new unit.
Thank you, I was leaning that way but what puzzles me is that the battery charge light is not working. It worked when I first started the car. So did the oil pressure gauge. Now neither of them work. All the other gauges and lights seem to check out OK.

Could a blown alternator cause this? Or is it the other way around? I think the charging light affects the alternator.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:57 AM

check your fuses

Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 PM

It may be a blown bulb also but Mx is right I would go with the fuses first.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:49 PM

Checked all fuses. For future reference for those who might have similar issues it turned out to be the alternator. I took it to 2 auto parts stores and both test machines would not even recognize it as an alternator it was that far gone. They would not even test. I think it had to be a internal short or broken wire. Anyway, I put in a new alternator turned the key and the charge light tested. I then started the car and the oil pressure gauge came to life. Everything appears normal and the voltage at the battery is running 13.4 to 14.7 depending on load and battery charge. Thanks for the assists.