Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Alternator/Electrical Problem, Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Default Alternator/Electrical Problem, Need help please

2002 Lancer ES 2.0 4 cyl SOHC

only engine mod ram intake.

Heres a summary of whats happening with the car

Brief summary to touch on points of problem:

Was running fine and then then was dead when got off work friday.
New Alternator, good battery. (replaced swapped this weekend)

-Car starts and runs ok.

-When ignition key is turned on or car is turned off is a loud click from engine compartment

-While idling is a whine noise coming from general alternator area.

-When neutral idling and revved starting at 2k rpm is a crackling sound coming from engine compartment, generally same area alternator/lower back of engine/underintake manifold? if standing in front of car looking at engine.

-When car is turned off if not started approx after 4 hours battery is drained.

-If started like every 2 1/2 - 3 hours will start up and run and battery charges. Seems though something might be draining battery.

-Checked for noises while ignition off, none. No lights or other alternate things on that would be draining battery.

Hopefully that kinda combines everything and gives clearer picture of what is happening. Anything is helpful as I am willing to check/try whatever need to, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Going to get back under car this evening and double check all the connections again, to make sure nothing may have loosened up. Although it seems this was happening prior to changing to new alternator/battery.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Sounds like the diodes in the voltage regulator that is built into the new alternator might be bad. On most cars it's a four diode bridge and if one or more goes bad it can cause your problem. If one is bad in the reverse/leakage direction it will let voltage bleed back from the battery.

Basic info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

Last edited by BrokeDad; 06-01-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:19 PM

In other words, maybe got a lemon alternator?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:27 PM

If that is the case though, would it still be getting the crackling sound, and the whine, the whine actually sounds just like the old one did right before I replaced it.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Grab a dvom and see what the battery voltage is w/ the car running. If the alternator is whining and the old one didnt I deff would get it replaced.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Well far as alternators go the whine I noticed friday after I jumped it, due to it being dead. Went immediately in and had the battery and alternator checked. The battery tested out fine, but when voltage checked it was low. So the old alternator was whining although there was no crackling noise at this point.

Decided due to the low voltage and whine to replace it was still a whine(although I kinda shrugged it off as thought might just be the accessory belt). Went straight up to store and had checked when replaced and was pushing out around 13.5-13.9 volts which I figure is ok. After replacing still making a whine noise, but today I noticed almost immediately when hits 2k rpm there is a crackling noise in the general area.

Going to check the cables while its cooled off, then will check voltage again and post results of check.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:02 PM

everything checked out good, so what I'm doing today.. pulling off the new alternator and swapping it for another "new" one. Going to replace the battery cables and possibly accessory belt if time allows.