Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake sticking and pulsing on a 2003 Lancer

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Default brake sticking and pulsing on a 2003 Lancer

Hello there,

I have a 2003 Lancer bought recently. When I bought I knew the brakes would need servicing soon because when braking at high speeds the steering wheel would vibrate. I read in another post that it might just need new pads, that is a relief cause I thought the discs and drums might need heavier work.

more recently i've discovered another brake problem. Usually when I shift from P to D or R, the car will move forward or backward if i let go of the brake (and without even touching the accelerator pedal). It's my first automatic so i don't know if that is normal. Anyway, when i've used the car for more than a few mins driving low speeds in traffic or in dirt roads, or uphill, sometimes when I stop in a leveled place and let go off the brake the car won't move, and even in a slope and putting it in Neutral it still won't move. So i put my foot under the brake pedal and push it out and then the car starts moving freely. The brakes are sticking. The first time I was driving in a dirt road and didn't really feel it until I stopped and went near the front tires, they were hot!! and there was a slight smell of brake pad, now i keep pushing the brake pedal out every now and then just in case.

What could be causing the brakes to stick ? I would want to know before taking it to the shop to know what i'll face when they show me the bill.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Default RE: brake sticking and pulsing on a 2003 Lancer

My guess would be a collapsed brake hose.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:13 PM

Thanks, i'll check for a collapsed brake hose.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

if your getting vibration then you probably will need new rotors because that means that they are warped. Also your car moving with the brake released is normal for automatics. Thats how they work. So dont worry about that.

BTW brake pads and rotors are extremly easy to do yourself with a manual. I would suggest giving it a try. I would take the tire off the side that the shaking appears to come from and see if the pads are worn down.

Everything that you said about not moving on a hill or slope is also fine, its an automatic, thats how they function