Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Coolant leak

Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Default Coolant leak

I have a 99 eclipse 2.0 non-turbo gs and a major coolant leak somewhere around the intake manifold just started today. When i put coolant in it pretty much leaks right out somewhere around the intake manifold onto the exhaust pipe i think. I dont know where its coming from yet because i dont have a good jack to get under and see where its leaking from. there isnt any leaks or disconnected hoses from what i can see. I have the service manual but it is very bland in details and doesnt have a picture of the entire coolant line for me to get a good idea of where the leak is occuring. I need some advice on where to get good diagrams an instructions online, or anyone who has a good idea of where the leak is and what i got to do to fix her.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:52 AM

I'll see if I can help you. I've worked on cars for many years but just started playing with mitsubishi's and not real familliar with the differences in models and even had to get some advice from members here for my own car. Since I have an 03' eclipse with the 2.4L there probably isn't alot of difference between the two. so I'll tell you what to look for from knowing mine and you should be able to find it if they are the same. I would say that more than likely you had a heater hose split. Find your two heater hoses coming from the firewall and follow them to the engine. They will connect to the engine under the throttle body. If you run your hand down the hose feeling all around you should find the hole. If it still has factory hose clamps on it, use a pair of pliers and squeez the two prongs together and slide the clamp back a couple inches, then you should be able to wiggle the hose lose and remove it. then do the same in reverse to put a new one back on. If you still can't find it let me know and we'll try again.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:08 PM

will do . ill let you know if thats it. thanks man

Old 12-27-2010, 01:00 PM

yeah the heater hose had a big crack in it and it was hell getting them off. still waiting on the new hoses too.. but thanx for the info

Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Glad I could help.