Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

'95 coolant leak advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 04:53 PM
ron
Default '95 coolant leak advice needed

Hi folks,
I have the 95 Montero with the 3.5 litre. The coolant path (pipe) looks like it comes out from under the intake manifold in the center of the engine and then turns 90 degrees going down the back of the block. BArely visible with a flashlight, it appears there is a joint where one coolant pipe fits into another. This joint is between the firewall and block in the center of the engine. I can not get a hand in there very easily but enough to confirm this is the leak point. So...

What is the fix? Pull the whole motor to get to it? Pull the intake and some other parts? Will a radiator leak repair additive like Bartlets work on this joint or will that stuff compromise the whole cooling system since I have 122,000 on this motor (in good shape)?

This leak seems to come and go depending on engine temperature and other factors. Sometimes it is nothing, sometimes a tiny spot, sometimes (like today) the thing drips a drop every couple seconds. It is almost like the joint swells/seals with temperature? Anyway, tired of putting a gallon of fluid in it every couple weeks (never mind the stress on the motor). Thanks for any advice!!
Ron

Old 05-02-2012, 06:08 AM

it could be the fitting for the heater hose in to the water manifold or it could me the weep hole from the back of the water pump both of these will leak water from the back of the block if you remove the intake manifold you will see