Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Default Electrical Problem?

My 95 eclipse rs died on me this morning, I've always had a check engine light on my car
since I bought it a few years ago, we got it all checked out and came with a code that had
to do with the secondary air management. We could never figure it out so we left it alone.
When I drive my car the check engine light will randomly go off at times, and come back on.
When this happens the car will sometimes jerk forward and back, and then drive fine. Usualy
when I first get it running in the mornings will it do that a couple of times. So I was
leaving for work this morning and it felt like my car was about to jerk, but instead the
speedometer and rpm gauge all droped down to zero instantly, and the gas pedal was doing
nothing. So I came to a stop but the car still ran a good 5-10 seconds after my gauges went
to zero. When it cut off, I tried multiple times to start it back up, but it would only
turn over. Later today I checked all the wirings I could see, I took out the ECU and
clipped it back in - only the bolt in the middle that screws it on tight broke in half, but
I clipped the plastic cap back over the ECU, cleaned off the battery, and checked the timing
belt. I sprayed some starting fluid to help crank it up, it almost started twice but would
clonk out before it could catch. There's enough oil, plenty of gas, checked all the spark
plugs and wire, everything looks fine. I was told I might need a coil pack, or I might need
a new electronic module to get it running again. If you have any ideas or suggestions on
what it could be or things to check and try out, please throw them at me because I'm open
for anything.

Old 10-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Default RE: Electrical Problem?

ANYONE?!?!

Old 10-10-2005, 03:13 AM

My fuel pump just seems to not work at all... so now I'm looking for the relay/fuse for it, but under each fuse box it shows nothing for fuel. I did find 2 relays under my hood in the corner driver side, with wires leading somewhere else - I believe the firewall. I also found 2 other relays above the fuse box near the foot pedals, but they have no wires leading out of them. so if someone could tell me what these relays are for or more importantly where the fuel pump relay is, it will help a lot.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:58 PM

Come to find out I had a rotten fuel line hose for my fuel pump, that crumbled somewhere along the process of putting my fuel pump back in my tank. I got all that replaced, hooked everything back up and still I get nothing. I messed around with the relays some more but they all seem fine. I do not believe I'm getting any fuel into my engine still, but how do I test it without having to **** with the fuel pump itself? Also, could my fuel filter be causing something to go wrong? The last thing I can think of that would deal with my fuel would be my fuel rail and fuel injectors, or maybe even my ECU could cause fuel problems? If any of that would cause me problems please let me know, and anything else fuel related that I can check.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:40 PM

On my 95 eclipse what other year eclipse or car uses the same fuel pump as mine? Because I plan on just going to a junk yard and picking one up, along with replacing the fuel filter with it, also how do you check if your car is getting any spark?

Old 10-11-2005, 08:15 PM

Junkyard parts arent always the best way to go. Who even knows if the thing even works? I f i was you and had the money id go out and but a new one so that you dont have to worry about it for a long time. If ever again. For the spark plugs pull them one at a time and hook the plug wire back up and lay the plug on something steel. Dont hold on to it when you roll the motor over. It hurts like hell! Try using the exaust manifold or some other big peice of metal. Lay it down and have a friend roll the motor over while you look for spark. It helps if its a little dark. Just dont do it on the fuel rail. I had a altanator ground out on a fuel rail once scared the ***k outta me.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:30 PM

From what I understand about the wiring of a car - it's like a big circle and if one wire, sensor, or something is unpluged, shorted, or broken then whatever that certain part is that should give power to the next part will end up breaking the circle, so everything after that broken part will not work or catch fire. I just got a test light for fire and spark, everything I tested I made sure the key was in the "on" position and some I even tried while turning over the car, first thing I tested was the fuel pump wiring and I get no fire. I move along and see if there is any spark on the coil pack... nothing. So I check the wire that clips onto the coil pack and what I think leads to the ECU, and there is no power going to it either. I check some wires that clip onto other things, some get fire some do not. The fuses are all okay as well, and I'm pretty sure all the relays are doing good also, I know the 2 under the hood are, and the 2 next to the foot pedals should be okay because I took some out of a junkyard a couple of days ago to try them out and nothing changed. I jumped to the ECU connector and some of the port holes in it light up but others do not, I don't know what the wires lead to exactly from the ECU connector that are or aren't working. I'm guessing it's not the fuel pump or ECU but some wire or sensor getting ****ed up that is causing all this mess and not letting my car catch that spark. Any suggestions on what to do from here, what certain wire I should check next, anything, just let me know PLEASE! My thought is to replace the wire that leads to the coil pack, because the other parts I checked, such as cetain wires or the ECU port holes that didn't work probably won't fire up unless I have the car running.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:36 PM

Alright I'm wrong about that circle thing, but it's still something electrical. When I put the light test in one certain pin hole on the ECU connector it turns the fuel pump on and you can hear the hose flowing with fuel along with the slight buzzing of the fuel pump in the back until I remove the test it goes off, so I know that's solved. But I don't know why I don't hear it when I turn the key to "on" when the ECU is connected? Nor did the fuel pump wires have power when I put the light on them for some reason though... even though the fuel pump did turn on. Also on the ECU connector only the right side from the center bolt between the pin holes does it have about 5-10 random pin holes that produce power, the whole left side from the center bolt has no pin holes with power surging threw them, along with a many random holes on the right side with no power. So could someone be so kind to put a test light on there 95 eclipse RS ECU CONNECTOR and see which pin holes produce power if not all of them? It would help me narrow things down. Could it be my ECU itself that is just not powering anything when I hook the connector up? Because I tested these sensors with the key to on.

- cam sensor - no power
- map sensor - no power
-TP sensor - no power
ECT sensor - no power
Electric EGR transudcer solenoid - power
o2 sensor - no power

Old 10-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Default delete

delete

Old 10-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Default RE: delete

The code of the engine is necessary for me and I shall try to help you