Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Help! One question about 1.8 block tapping

Old 10-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Default Help! One question about 1.8 block tapping

I have a '93 Talon with a 1.8L engine. This is a rebuilt long block assembly with 5K miles on it.

When I started it up the other day, it did a loud tapping noise like a mechanical slapping.
About 2 to 3 hz.

In troubleshooting the cause, I ruled out the head and located the noise to the block and then around the front of the engine.

Upon removing the timing belt I discovered that the front balance shaft had seized,
thus causing timing belt "B" to shred and tear off.

So the engine runs, (and smoothly), but the one balance shaft is not activated and there now exists a tapping noise (sounds exactly like valve lifter tap but is-not-valve-tap) coming from the lower engine front ("belts) area.

I have purchased a "silent shaft eliminator" kit from RPM Ron's in order to repair the problem, buttttt!-now my question!

Will the silent shaft repair also fix the tapping noise ?

Does "one silent shaft running-while the other silent shaft is seized" necessarily cause a
loud tapping noise ?----or rather maybe could the front silent shaft had seized and susequent belt "B" tear and break have occurred sometime in the past unbeknownst to me the driver and this condition may have proceeded to maybe have caused some crankshaft unbalance and bearing wear or whatever ???

Am I going to experience further tapping noise after balance shaft repair or is my seized balance shaft actually causing the noise at this point ????

Sincerely Dan (?)

Old 10-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Default RE: Help! One question about 1.8 block tapping

Correction: asddition to above p[ost:

"upon removing the timing belt cover..."