Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to time a new engine 2.0 non turbo 93 gs

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Default how to time a new engine 2.0 non turbo 93 gs

Ok her it is i have a 93 gs non turbo 2.0 and the motor blew. i was going to rebuild it but i bought a motor on e-bay for $475 new and the guy said once i get the motor in it needs to be timed. i dont know much about these cars so any help or info is greatly appreciated. i will be puting the motor in the car monday or tuesday. im trying to get a jumpstart on my knowledge before i do anything further. thank you guys.
Micah

Old 02-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: how to time a new engine 2.0 non turbo 93 gs

well i'm guessing all he means by that is the timing belt will need to be aligned properly.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:51 PM

Ok first set the the number on piston to TDC. Check to make sure that the Intake and Exhaust cams are aligned. (if these are stock you should see and indenture on the cams). That when you start the engine it won't chug chug on you. Now once you get the engine installed make sure you double check all connections. The normal timing for a 4G63 engine is 5 deg BTDC and you should be able to see it with a timing light. Hook up the timing light to your battery and the induction pickup to your #1 wire. If you are lucky the engine will start and run enough to set the timing. Look on the timing belt cover. there should be some notches and numbers showing the timing for the crankshaft. I also recomend that you take White out or some other form of paint and find the timing notch on the Crankshaft pully. This will help you to see the mark as the engine is running. Ok to change the timing you need to make a jumper wire and connect it from the Neg side of the battery to the ignition test connector. This connector should be on the firewall passenger side just behind the battery. it only has one pin and should not be connected to anything. Now loosen the bolts to the Cam Shaft Position senor (Big think on the back of the engine connected to the Intake Cam Shaft. with the engine running you can move this sensor back and forth to set the timing while the car is at idle. Make sure the engine is warm and turn off all acc, fans etc. I can't remember if you move the sensor front side down it advances and back side down will retard the timing just play with it. Also be advise that the sensor might not move by hand so you might need something to help it along. I use a piece of wood and and hammer to avoid damage. Have a helper look at the timing number as you move back and forth when set, Tighten the bolts back down, remove jumper wire and check to see if the Idle is where it should be 750 plus/minus 50 to 100. Good luck with your endevor

Old 03-02-2006, 11:24 PM

I'm not posative, but if this is an automatic car there should be a rubber plug on the top of the trans. you can remove for access with a timing light to set timing easier once you have the cams timed in.