Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MIRAGE: Clunking noise rear left - the stut?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Default MIRAGE: Clunking noise rear left - the stut?

Help - I think that I've reached the end of the road with my Space Star Mirage Diesel (Year 2002) and really could do with some advice.

We bought it in 2005 used (one owner) with 40,000 miles on the clock and we've used it mostly for family car runs - lots of short journeys, school runs etc but a couple of long holiday road trips as well. We've tried to maintain/service it as best we can on a budget but I think we've been a little unlucky along the way - had to spend a bit fixing/replacing more than one expensive part along the way including at worst the turbo (a pheasant walked on the highway just as I was passing at 60 mph and got sucked up underneath, causing damage) Now at 99,000 my Mirage is suddenly making a weird clunking noise in the rear left - almost like a big metal crow bar was rolling about in the trunk - when I take a sharp turn or go around a roundabout. Could this be a sign that the struts are worn or have I caused damage to the wheel arch area or rear suspension driving too fast over the many pot holes on our roads???? I've driven it a couple of times now and the noise does seem to lessen the slower I drive or turn. Is it dangerous to drive it again like this? My husband nor I are any good with cars and we dread taking it into a garage for a diagnosis and estimate. We are in the UK but any ideas what this problem and the level of cost to repair would be? The kind of labour and cost for this part(s) would be so helpful in advance. Given that its mileage how much more could I expect to get out of her? I have liked this car very much - its practical compact but sturdy - but I can't face another big bill to patch it up.

Thanks for any info you can share.
Katrina
London UK