Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multi-vehicle ATF problems: Myth or Fact???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Default Multi-vehicle ATF problems: Myth or Fact???

Well, I'm changing the ATF in my vehicle soon, and I've decided to go with an aftermarket, synthetic multi-vehicle ATF. One thing that I've noticed throughout the process of making the decision is, everybody in their dog is telling you that you're going to destroy your transmission. That got me thinking, is the stigma around using aftermarket ATF have any basis in fact? Or is it just an echo-chamber of worry warts repeating what they were told by the dealership or a friend of a friend of a friend?

I even went as far as to seek out any first problems with aftermarket multi-vehicle ATF on google. Only to find page after page of "Is after market ATF safe" with the response "why risk it?" I found ZERO first hand accounts of any aftermarket multi-vehicle ATF problems. Zero evidence to support the myth at all. If MV ATF is so bad for your tranny, then where are all the failed transmissions? Where are the negative reviews of MV ATF products? Where are all the forum posts entitled "Aftermarket ATF - Learn from my mistake"?

With that, I would like to propose to my fellow forum members that the idea that Aftermarket multi-vehicle ATF is harmful to your transmission is a Myth, that was likely created by the auto manufacturers to scare us into paying twice as much for ATF with an auto-manufacturers logo on it. My challenge to the people who disagree with that statement is: Let's hear the first hand stories. Let's hear how cheaping out on MV ATF ended up costing you thousands. Let's bust the myth and put the whole issue to rest.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 PM

What vehicle do you drive? As far as first hand accounts check any of the evo specific forums to see the post about damaged transmissions from non oem fluid. Other models may be fine but it really does depend on the vehicle you are talking about.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:25 PM

Why take the risk?..I get it done at the Dealer when the vehicle is under warranty..they have the records..It's no hassle. I think using OEM fluid is the way to go for the life of the car.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lancerguy2013
Why take the risk?..I get it done at the Dealer when the vehicle is under warranty..they have the records..It's no hassle. I think using OEM fluid is the way to go for the life of the car.
With regards to warranty, I purchased my vehicle used so I don't have all the service records. Further I am beyond the required change interval, so even if I was to use the OEM fluid, if my tranny blew up tomorrow, I am sure I'd be SOL.

With the question of maintaining warranty coverage removed from the equation, my response to "why take the risk?", is: What exactly am I risking?

Old 08-16-2017, 08:36 PM

Well from my point of view, and we know how reliable that is, it again depends on your vehicle. In my eclipse I used whatever the garage suggested (not a mitsu dealer) because I trusted them and had no issues. Same with our first lancer. With our outlanders I didnt much care with the first but used oem for the second. No issues with either.
With my ralliart only used oem and same with current lancer and will only use oem.
The risk with the first ones was possible few hundred, maybe thousand dollar tranny repair but considered it unlikely and trusted the people I dealt with.
With current vehicle it is a possible multi thousand dollar trans repair/replace and with warranty left it is oem all the way.
You may be risking tranny repair and price would depend on your vehicle. The risk is only what you feel it is worth. There are other forums which may provide more vehicle specific information as to what may or may not happen to your specific vehicle.
You may find many people have used non-oem in your model without issues and then. yea. go for it and dave a few bucks but if all the stories are bad???? Up to you in the end what is best for you.
Good luck and I hope you find good solid unbiased info to make your choice.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:11 AM

It seems that the CVT's would need the OEM fluid...the regular automatics..perhaps not so
finicky?...I guess Its just a "feel good " thing for me...plus..to be honest I'm not concerned
with the extra cost...sometimes these things fall under a false economy for me. Best of Luck with your vehicle.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:13 AM

I'm in a position now that I don't trust anybody. The 2 dealers in my area only do drain and fill. Anyone else who is willing to do the work is going to waaaaay overcharging, and despite what I have to say are insisting on using Eneos CVT fluid.

If I want the service done the way I want and want to be sure I'm using the correct fluid, I'm going to do the work myself. And $33 a quart for dealership fluid is highway robbery IMHO.

Again, I know there's a lot of warnings to ONLY use the OEM fluid, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of supporting evidence.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:01 PM

3 month report.

Approx 3 months ago, I bit the bullet on some Amsoil ATF. Not cheap but half the cost of the stealership. Did the work myself.

3 months in, car runs fine. No notable issues. I will keep checking in from time to time to keep everyone posted.

Again, if anybody has had a negative experience with a multi-vehicle ATF, please share. I'd be interested to hear.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 AM
Default 7 Month Report

7 months in. Outlander still running like a champ. The biggest thing to note here is that there have been no notable issues through the coldest months of winter. It's also worth noting that winter gets pretty damn cold where I am. -30C is considered normal.

I have noticed on the really cold days it may shift a bit hard from a cold start. This is usually short lived (usually within a couple blocks it stops). And it doesn't occur if I've let the car run for a few extra minutes before driving. I don't blame the fluid though. You'd be hard pressed to find anything that works flawlessly in -30C IMHO.

Whatever the case, I've been happy with the fluid thus far. Next test will be the summer heat

Old 09-30-2019, 09:32 AM

2 year (...well, almost) update. Despite the naysayers, my tranny hasn't self destructed. Shifts fine. Zero issues.