Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ECM; New Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Default New ECM; New Problems

Long story short, my father and I have tried everything to fix what was wrong with my car. Doesn't like to start up in cold weather. So we went through about as much as we knew how (I say we when I actually mean my Dad). Anyways, I had heard a handful of people on here say that they had replaced their ECM and all problems were solved.

So that's what I did - bought a rebuilt one from a pretty reputable company out of Houston. My Dad happened to be in town at the time and picked it up for me on the way to the airport.

Installed it tonight, and it didn't want to start up at first. Finally it did, but everything's off! It's not idling well at all. I have done a little bit at reading and found out that I probably need to also replaced the idle speed control motor actuator.

How much are those?

If that doesn't help it, then what should I do?

Old 05-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Default RE: New ECM; New Problems

did u replace the ecu with the exact same type, that could be a problem. Your descriptions are a little too vague to know what possible problems could be

Old 05-05-2005, 05:57 AM

UPDATE:

Local mechanic told me that sometimes it takes awhile to get new ECM's acquainted with a new vehicle and that I needed to just go out and drive it. Thought it was odd, but didn't know what else to do so I took it around our Loop here in town. I'm about 90% around the whole thing (it's only like 26 miles around) when it starts acting up on me. I drive it home and it was idling real bad.

My Dad and I pop the hood and realized that it was still idling way to fast. We adjust it and all of a sudden, it calms down and runs like it never had any problems.

So I let it cool down and check the oil, add about half a quart since it was looking low. And decided to drive it around again. Started up no problem and drove it out of town about 15 miles and turned around and came back.

Two new things I want to address though:

1) How much does a new ISC motor cost? I was told that I would probably want to replace it along with the new ECM.

2) The problems I seem to have with it now is that it gets really "jerky" whenever it gets hot. In other words, I'm having some sort of coolant problem? What should I be looking for?

Special thanks to any who reply.

Especially you DSMTalon. You're an asset to this forum.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:13 AM

UPDATE:

I went and priced a new ISC motor today.....just under $275!!! That's more than what I paid for the new ECM. Any alternatives to look into before I break down and take it to the pros?

Old 05-08-2005, 04:13 AM

UPDATE:

I went and priced a new ISC motor today.....just under $275!!! That's more than what I paid for the new ECM. Any alternatives to look into before I break down and take it to the pros?