Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

new starter won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Exclamation new starter won't disengage

Our starter went out on our '99 Montero. We started having problems last Saturday...only two of the electric windows would roll down, interior clock went out, radio turned off, wouldn't crank back up after I turned it off. All it would to is make a clicking sound. Several hours later, it cranked right up.

We drove the truck Sunday and Monday with no problems. Monday evening, I took it to a local parts place to get the battery and alternator checked to try to head off a problem. After turning the truck off at the store, it wouldn't crank back up. They checked the battery, which was bad, so I got a new one. Again, all that happened with the new battery was the clicking noise when I tried to crank the truck. Finally, by turning the key back and forth several times, the truck cranked. Alternator tested good, so we were told it was the starter. Drove the truck the next two days with the bad starter and it did fine. Didn't mess up again until Thursday morning. We had to jump the truck off to get it back home from my work.

So yesterday we replaced the starter. Only problem now is that the starter won't disengage. We are now stumped.

Please help!!!

Old 09-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

The solenoid on the new starter sounds like its either sticking on or something internally is stuck engaged.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:05 PM

We actually tried to different new starters from different places, both with new solenoids. We had the same results with both starters.