Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

no idle.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Default no idle.

[font="Times New Roman"]
I have a 1997 GST and for some reason after i put a new altenator in it will not idle. i cant figure it out. what would make for a no idle. alt wires have been checked that works same with battery. i tested resistance in the coil pack and wires also injectors. i'm in the process of cleaning the injectors to see if it will make a difference. also i was reading about IAC. (idle air contol motor) i was thinking maybe that could be the problem but its also 190$ so if anyone can help me out with my problem please do! thanks paul

Old 11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Default RE: no idle.

The IAC can be tested with an electrical multimeter. Check out this site.

IAC testing

If it is broken you can adjust it manually if you don't want to purchase a new one right away. Just unscrew or screw in that main plunger until you get the proper idle. Yes it is a bit time consuming. Install, check idle, remove, adjust, reinstall, check idle, etc, etc.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:43 PM

By disconnecting the battery when you replaced the alternator- you simply reset the ECU's idle adaptation. What you need to do from here is clean out the throttle body bore around the throttle plate using a rag and some throttle body cleaner (you'll need to unbolt the elbow to get to it). That should take care of it. Good luck!

Joel, CA

Old 11-09-2005, 01:12 AM

okay thanks for the help. i just cleaned the injectors and put them back in. but its to late and i got to work i'm going to test the iac and clean the the throttle body and tell you what happend thanks.