Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems after installing car stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 06:38 AM
Default problems after installing car stereo

hi, i have a 96 mitsubishi galant exceed (auto). me and a few friends recently installed a new car stereo and sub woofers (with amp). after installing the sound system i have found a few problems with my car.

-the lights inside the car no longer work. ie the dash board light to light up the dash at night when you're driving, the inside light on the roof, and the light in the boot.
-the central locking opens when you use the key, but does not lock with key. the inside button for the central locking only works sometimes (rarely)
-whenever i turn the car on the clock is set/resets to 1:00 (no clock when the car is off). the numbers a very vague, and some times they disappear (or turn off, idont know)
-when i turn the car on the stereo is reset to standar settings. ie back to the first song, equalizer reset to 0, etc.
-the car idles one bar above the zero. feels like it wants to stall

dont know if these are related or not. now i dont know if all these happened during installation, but i have just noticed them after the install. they may have been there already. i have had a look at the fuse box and they all look fine (no broken fuses). dont know what else to do. i thought i would try and fix the problem or find a solution on the net before taking it in to the shop (save money). if u think you might have a solution to any of the problems, please post, or if you know where i may find the solution, please post. please help, thanx.

notes: the subs are connected through the rca. the amp is powered straight from the battery, through the steering column, might have bumped/moved something while attempting to connect to battery. jvc stereo. not sure of subs brand.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:59 AM
pc
Default RE: problems after installing car stereo

When I read the first line, "me and a few friends", I knew there would be a problem. Did anybody know what they were doing? It's hard to imagine not noticing the problems you describe existing before the sound system was installed. I doubt anyone here is going to be able to say, "Yea, it's the blue wire", when no one can even guess at what you and your friends did. Were there instructions with the system? I never like to tap into existing wiring for mods unless I know exactly what I am doing. The electronic control systems on these cars do not like power draws that aren't meant to be there. I always wire direct from the battery only if I can. That way there is less tracing to do if there is a problem. My advice is to disconnect all your wiring and restore the system to what it was before the sound system and see if the problems are fixed. If not, begin tracing from there. I would then get a reputable sound shop to do the install after that.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:23 AM

You may have crossed over a few wires that were not supposed to be. You've also messed up alot of other wiring schematics.
Also, you might want to check fuses. My only suggestions is to take it out and trace all of the wires that you tapped into.
What wire did you use to tap for power?
What happens when you press the brake? Dash lights on/off? Do your headlight work?

Old 05-25-2005, 06:23 PM

hi. the friend who helped me do it has successfuly installed over 20 sound systems (from home). he is not registered or anything but knows his way around a car.
all the leads i used were from an installation/wiring kit. the are farely thick and are meant specifically for the job.
the headlights and indicators still work. i am not sure about reverse or brake lights. the only lights that work inside are the coloured lights on the dash. ie the lights when you turn the car to 'on', the light to show which gear you're in, etc.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:23 PM
pc

Well it sounds like your friend would be the best to try and trace the problems as he seems to have enough experience to be able to figure out if anything he did caused the faults you now have.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:13 PM

lights not working, my only guess would be that you bumped/pulled some wire behind the stereo.

About the bad idle/clock reset, check the battery terminal. Maybe its corroded or loose and not making good contact. Losing power could constantly reset your clock, and reset your ecu, which could explain the crappy idle as your computer needs to relearn the fuel curves every time.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:40 AM

thanks guys. i forgot to check the fuses under the hood (noob). since all the writing on the fuse boxes are in japanese, i had to go through all of them. two were blown. everything is going except for the dash light. not sure, but i might have blown the bulb or something. is it a wire or fuse? or is it the bulb? any suggestions? will i be able to fix it myself or will i have to take it to a pro?

also the idle is still playing-up. it did have a low idle before but since the installation it has got a lot worse. the car has stalled (auto) a couple of times this week. not good. any suggestions?

Once again, THANKS.

Old 06-05-2005, 02:26 AM

for some reason the fuse for the dash and rear lights always blows. its a 10 blade fuse. can anyone help? the light that lights up the dash at night and the lights at the back of the car so other drivers can see me dont work. im not sure if the fuse blows when i turn the lights on or when i turn the car on, but for some reason it always blows. i even put a 15 fuse in to see what would happen (not sure if that was a good move or not), and that blew straight away. please help.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:25 AM

ok, i have found out that the fuse only/always blows when i turn the head-lights on. also, i didnt know, but the rear lights at the back of the car also dont work (stop and reverse still work though). i unhooked the amp (power lead) but fuse still blows. all the wires at the back of the stereo are all tidy (no loose wires to short out fuse). unhooked the the outside lights (boot & bonnet) of the car, fuse still blows.
please help. Thanx

Old 06-14-2005, 01:32 PM

try the head light switch, not the easiest thing to do but more than likely that is your problem