Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

6 spkr to 4? when installing aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Default 6 spkr to 4? when installing aftermarket stereo

First, I searched. The search on this site really sux. How can you get 0 threads found?

Anyway...
I have a base radio 2007 4WD. The stereo really sucks, I cant handle the stereo fading in and out anymore. And Im tired of risking getting rear ended because if I turn off the lights to see the radio then I forget to turn them back on at night thanks to the super bright running lights and the always lit dash.

I have had my dash conversion kit since mothers day. I got the DD stereo/dvd player for Christmas.
Im picking up a wiring harness converter so I dont have to chop up the OEM wiring. I guess well see how that goes, Im getting it from the local stereo install shop.

Ive been behind the radio already to install a direct wire antenna switch for the stand alone sirius radio so I know what Im facing in regards to that.

The question im asking is what do I do with the 3rd set of speakers since it appears to be a 4 speaker out on the aftermarket radio?

Im assuming I just wire them with the door speakers in the front but do they go series or paralell? I dont want to overload the amp by wiring the speakers wrong.

BTW, I went back about 20 pages and didnt see anyone doing an aftermarket install on the base radio. Has anyone done it yet?

Thanks in advance.
-Marcie

Old 12-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Default RE: 6 spkr to 4? when installing aftermarket stereo

The speakers usually are already run in series from the factory, you should only have 4 sets of speaker wires in the back of the radio.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:38 PM
tcp

yup, the speaker 5 and 6 are a set of tweeters in the front doors. they run in parallel with the front door speakers with a capacitor for a HP filter. you only have 4 sets of wires to deal with. There are many other functions in the stock radio, including a CAN bus info ( i assume to adjust the volume depending on speed).Make sure you know what you are tapping into or data flows could be disrupted. Download the workshop manual here somewhere and find the actual wiring diagram before continuing.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:14 PM

Thanks. I figured out the 6 spkr problem. Ive tried dl the manual before but it wouldnt play nice. I will try again.

So far, since I have the base radio. 2 connectors on back, the wide connector is all the radio controls. The wire harness adapter gave me access to the 12v acc, 12 hot, negative, speakers 4 pairs.

The mystery is the smaller connector which I assume is for the steering controls. I checked and have security function and as long as the plug where the hazard button is is plugged in you dont get an air bag error. Ill go through the manual to see what the other wires are.

The DD conversion plate is so so. Still need some monkeying around to get screws into the stereo. Not impressed that the whole thing that holds the radio in is plastic but I tried to convert the oem brackets and it seems to require some engineering that I dont have patience for. If the plastic bits fail then I will worry about it then.

My opinion of the xovision DD dvd player is, the DVD quality is very good, however, I have not viewed it during the day so that may change.
The EQ is only 2 band and sucks because I hate hate hate too much mid range. 80w x4 is not enough power for my tastes so I suppose an eq booster is in order.
And my biggest gripe THERE IS NO CLOCK WHEN PLAYING CDS [:@]. This is almost a deal breaker. Im going to play with my external HD, if it interfaces with it and plays DVDs from it then its probably forgivable.

I have to see if the stereo fades in and out like it does on the base unit. So far the FM quality is much better than the base radio.