Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Installing Car Audio Stereo System Subwoofer In 01-06 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Arrow Installing Car Audio Stereo System Subwoofer In 01-06 Montero

I'm planning to install a stereo system in my 2002 Montero limited. Anyone have any prior experience to doing so as well?

My main concern is where to put the subwoofer and amp.

I DO NOT want to elminate the 3rd row or it's storage under the floor when not in use.

Underneath the driver and passenger seat is enough space to fit Sony's mini amps which are about 8x6x1.3

One of my dream ideas would be to have a shop do a custom box/amp rack on the driver side (USA) rear corner where the stock sub and amp are anyways. If youve seen the new 2007 and up outlanders Mitsu put a nice box for the 10" sub even with the 3rd row seating.

However, I dont want to spend a crap load of money having a shop fabricating all that.

I was thinking of replacing the stock subwoofer. Has anyone done this? I know the stock one is a tiny 6.5". I wonder if we can squeeze an 8" in there using an adapter/spacer.

Also I am very familiar with the Infinity system in Mitsubishis'

You DO NOT have to rewire everything, meaning running new wire throughout the cabin for the speakers (unless you want to upgrade to thicker gauge wire). The stock amplifier location is the focal point for easily getting an aftermarket amp and new components so the tweeters will work.

If anybody has installed a new stereo but not getting the MITAH or similar adapter with the stock amp and just use the normal wiring harness you will notice the loss of the subwoofer and the tweeters. If anyone wants more info and the diagram just show interest and I'll post more info.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Hi there, I was also wanting to put in a sound system but i was going to start bit by bit. First I'm going to replace the cd player but I really don't know if i can just go buy any new cd player and just install it. Will there any problems? like antenna, sound volumes, or integrated issues? Any help would be much help.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 PM

I tried to install an amp with two 12inch speakers in my 2002 Montero Sport. I cant find a good ground for the amp... Can anybody help me?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:11 AM

conjureone
All you need to buy is the integrated kit which allows you to simply plug and play the stock harness which will let you keep the stock amp running.

It gets a bit more complicated if you are goign to run aftermarket amps.

This is all you'll need

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stereo-Wire-amp-...3286.m20.l1116

there is another one called the MITAH adapter, its for all mitsubishi's running stock amp. Don't worry about what car it says, its the one.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:08 AM

Ok, I know for a fact now

the 01-02 Upgraded stereo (one with stock Infinity Amplifier) is DIFFERENT than the 03-06

The 03-06 the xover for the tweeters is built into the amp.

Int he 01-02 I have no idea where it is being xover. It sure isn't at the amp. The amp outputs the signal to the front speakers, and somewhere it is x-over to the tweeters but I dont know where.

Can anybody besides me give any other useful info regarding this. I haev the 03-06 service manual and have the audio diagram here. I need the 01-02.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:33 PM

I have an 03 LTD and my factory infinity amp gave up the ghost today... (it was having issues up till now anyway), so I'm very interested in seeing what happens with this thread.
I don't even know where the factory amp is! I've read under the front passenger seat and I've read elsewhere that it's behind the panel in the rear passenger side of the cargo area.

I don't care so much about the 3rd seat, but don't want to loose too much storage either. Also want a clean install...

Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 AM

squam1, the location of the amp is the same from 2001-2006 Montero (NOT MONTERO SPORT)

It is located on the driver side very very rear panel right behind the tail light.

It is required to remove that entire side panel. But before you can do that, you have to loosen half of the upper panel that goes around the window because it over laps the lower panel you have to remove. Also there are screws that have to be unscrewed on the lower panel which can't be seen until you pop up half of the upper panel.

Also you can't entirely remove the panel that is covering the amp without removing that carpet because it is hiding some screws, and you cant remove the carpet without removing the hooks.

IT IS VERY VERY TEDIOUS.

If you are doing all of this, you might as well install an aftermarket amp. In the 03-06, the most convenient place to tap into all the speakers is the amp harness. You can tap the tweeters for your new xovers int his location as wel.

It would be similar for the 01-02 but everyone here sucks jk, and tell me where the xover is spliced. If someone had the 01-02 complete service manual, electrical diagram with factory amp, I can figure it out, like I did for the 03.

But all the ones for the 01-02 seem to be incomplete.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Default Thanks Redturbo

I appreciate the info - that is very, very helpful... I'll need to figure out what wires go to what and then I guess I can pull together an aftermarket amp to get things going.

What would be the best resource for getting a full 03 service manual? I haven't even tried looking for one yet...

thx again!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 PM

Hey sorry it took so long to reply, but my parts finally came in and now im in a big pickle. i have the harness i cut all the wires off but now i dont know what the wires in the car are.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:42 PM

What do you mean you cut the harness conjureone?

The one on the car side that connects to the radio?

What exactly are you installing? Just a new deck/stereo? No aftermarket amps?

Quick Reply: Installing Car Audio Stereo System Subwoofer In 01-06 Montero