Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Installing Car Audio Stereo System Subwoofer In 01-06 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 02:22 PM

Ha, too funny. Sooo, I had interference/static coming out of the right rear door after a few weeks but this was after I installed new speakers. I had not touched anything else at the time, just 4 new door speakers (along with the new stereo, of course). Ended up being a few things as far as I could tell: blown subwoofer (I mean completely toast) and the amp blowing out as well. In my case (I mentioned this on the other forum, too), the connector to the amp melted and even took one of the internal connectors with it. Guess I should count myself lucky that the whole truck didn't burn down. Can't say that's the case with what you're experiencing but that would certainly be my guess. Here is another good thread for an install.

A few notes from my experience: I did not completely remove the lower back interior piece. I just propped it open with some footballs I had lying around. Gave me enough room to get in and mess around. Both pieces (upper and lower) are quite easy to remove and re-install. The upper piece I just shoved forward out of the way.
Also, I installed the new amp under the passenger seat and cut and spliced the speakers wires from the driver's side rear entry area. Ran wires under the carpet to the amp.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by hurrjin333
I tried to install an amp with two 12inch speakers in my 2002 Montero Sport. I cant find a good ground for the amp... Can anybody help me?

It’s cuz monteros harnesses don’t come with the black ground wire u can simply just tape it to something metal

Old 08-18-2021, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by conjureone
Hi there, I was also wanting to put in a sound system but i was going to start bit by bit. First I'm going to replace the cd player but I really don't know if i can just go buy any new cd player and just install it. Will there any problems? like antenna, sound volumes, or integrated issues? Any help would be much help.
I do most of the work on my cars but with the stereo install I had Best Buy do it simply since it was CHEAP. I bought a double DIN Apple Play Pioneer and had them move the HVAC controls down to where the single CD unit goes to make space for a double DIN and the Pioneer head unit, moving of the HVAC and install was $349 plus tax. Cheap and simple install-sounds better than my $100k Jaguar F Type R audio system.

Old 11-21-2021, 02:40 PM
Default double din radio in my 01 limited

Originally Posted by redturboeclipse
I'm planning to install a stereo system in my 2002 Montero limited. Anyone have any prior experience to doing so as well?

My main concern is where to put the subwoofer and amp.

I DO NOT want to elminate the 3rd row or it's storage under the floor when not in use.

Underneath the driver and passenger seat is enough space to fit Sony's mini amps which are about 8x6x1.3

One of my dream ideas would be to have a shop do a custom box/amp rack on the driver side (USA) rear corner where the stock sub and amp are anyways. If youve seen the new 2007 and up outlanders Mitsu put a nice box for the 10" sub even with the 3rd row seating.

However, I dont want to spend a crap load of money having a shop fabricating all that.

I was thinking of replacing the stock subwoofer. Has anyone done this? I know the stock one is a tiny 6.5". I wonder if we can squeeze an 8" in there using an adapter/spacer.

Also I am very familiar with the Infinity system in Mitsubishis'

You DO NOT have to rewire everything, meaning running new wire throughout the cabin for the speakers (unless you want to upgrade to thicker gauge wire). The stock amplifier location is the focal point for easily getting an aftermarket amp and new components so the tweeters will work.

If anybody has installed a new stereo but not getting the MITAH or similar adapter with the stock amp and just use the normal wiring harness you will notice the loss of the subwoofer and the tweeters. If anyone wants more info and the diagram just show interest and I'll post more info.
What adapter is needed? Do I use an interface or a wire harness?

Old 06-27-2023, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by redturboeclipse
ok, well, im assuming you will use the amp for the subs.

first you have to understand how the stock system works for the 01-06 mitsubishi montero (if not most mitsus from mid 90s to mid 00s)

the premium inifinity system comes with a stock amp. this stock amp is the ins and outs of the entire car. the crossover to the tweeters are BUILT IN to this amp. there was a difference in wiring after 02, but this wont apply so i wont mention it.

basically, good you have a new story, but guess what happens if you install the stereo with the usual install.. YOUR TWEETERS WONT WORK. why, again because the xover is built into the stock amp. if you disable the amp, no tweeters.

so what do you do now. make sure you get the CORRECT WIRING HARNESS. it is a MITAH WIRING HARNESS. one end will be proprietary din cable end, and the other end will have 2 pairs of rca cables and a blue wire for remote turn on.

its plug and play and you just connect the blue wire to your new stereo's amp wire.

this means the stock amp is in place to amplify your speakers meaning tweeters are in play.

so why is this a downside? because it means you are not utilizing your new stereo's power. what sounds better? you cant get a good comparison unless you get professional tools to measure actual RMS output between the 2. IF you do an ear test, your EARS will tell you using the MITAH adapter and stock amp combo sounds better, why? because MORE SPEAKERS ARE WORKING. if you just use the ordinary wiring harness with all those wires, yes you will be using your new stereo's power, but remember no dash speakers..

UNLESS you wire it separately, which means possibly running new wires, and you have to make sure you have bass blocker or a passover.. better yet a COMPONENT SPEAKER SYSTEM.

THE NICE THING, if you utilize the mitah adapter.. NOT ONLY does the stock amp power the tweeters, IT ALSO POWERS THAT STOCK SUB IN THE REAR DRIVER SIDE. so you will have some more bass--assuming you installed the adapter/harness properly.

the MITAH adapter is also the "EASIEST" for you if your not familiar.

as for your new subs, simple. if your new stereo has a separate RCAs for subwoofer use those, IF NOT, you will ahve to use the rear channel output, BUT if you use the MITAH adapter it will use the REAR as well.. to power your rear speakers. you'll have to split it. ive done it with friends' setups, no problem

as for the DVD system. fm transmitter, anything like that sucks, signal may cut in and out and quality is terrible. i dont know how that system looks and the ins and outs, but i would try to wire it directly if possible.

maybe your stereo has audio INPUT in the back so you can do a clean install. if not i dont know. your stuck keeping that independent and just using the fm transmitter.
Dude, I love and appreciate how thorough and clear your explanations are, and I would LOVE some guidance regarding my specific issue, which is probably not as complicated:

I have a 2002 Montero Limited with stock stereo system (Infiniti), and two days ago, for no apparent reason, the sound went out from ALL of my speakers (radio seems to be working, otherwise), and I ALSO noticed in the last two days that when I clicked on CD on the head unit, the antenna would NOT go down as it normally would, and I am assuming this is somehow related to the speaker/sound issue, because it has happened at the same time …

It’s also important to note that on three or four occasions in these last two days, when I would restart the car, the sound from my speakers did come back, but only to stop after 30 seconds. But I cannot duplicate this scenario, however.

I don’t have a garage, and I don’t have a lot of tools at my disposal to be handy. My #1 goal now is to get the sound back (is this a loose wiring issue somewhere, or is this a bad amp?), and then my #2 goal is to possibly replace those tiny tweeter speakers by the front two doors, by the side-rearview mirrors, because I remember them crackling when I turned the volume really high (I don’t think or remember that crackling coming from the bigger speakers).

I plan to bring this to a shop somewhere that does radio installations, but I guess I just want to get an idea of what I’m walking into, etc., and do you think a standard car installation shop would know what to do since this is an older car.

Thank you so much, looking forward to hearing back!