Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Installing Car Audio Stereo System Subwoofer In 01-06 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 04:44 PM

yeah i cut the harness on accident but i have it all installed now my new stereo and im using stock amps. my only problem now is that my speedometer and odometer isnt working. i check all the fuses and they are ok but i dont know what else maybe i pulled on the cables and loosen the cable?

Old 09-05-2009, 04:51 PM

Yeah i accidently cut all the wires on the harness but its all fix and installed now only problem i have now is that my speedometer and odometer isnt working i check all the fuses and they are fine maybe i loosen the cable?

Old 09-05-2009, 05:06 PM

Did you just use those harness where it was all wires, or was there this special adapter cable that had RCAs that you needed to plug in to your new stereo?

If there were no RCA cables used at all, does your tweeters still work, I'll be surprised if they do.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:26 PM

Hey Fellas,

I have a 2002 Montero (Non-Sport) as well. I installed the after market radio couple days ago. I used a MITAH adapter harness and amp integration DIN cable as well. So basically it was pretty easy to connect wires, connect RCA and everything is working well with the exception of couple problems.

1. All my guage lighting (speedometer, odometer), and the center console lighting (AC, 4x4, shifter) went off. I checked the fuse block located under the dash and in the engine comaprtment, found a fuse which is located in engine compartment and seems like directly related to the guage. However, everytime I put a new fuse and turn on the lights, fuse blows right away. Not sure what should I check

2. Power antenna does'nt seem to work in correct fashion. Even though there are two different power (one for amp and one for antenna), antenna just comes out as soon as the CD player turns on where as it should only come out if the radio is on.

Any help or suggesstions?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:58 AM

you probably are grounding something for the fuse to constantly blow. I would check your connections.

As far as the power antenna, looks like you already know the answer, swap the antenna and amp turn on from the harness.

if you don't know which, get a meter and measure voltage. one should turn on only with radio function on, the other on as soon as stereo turns on

Old 08-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Talking mistubishi montero sport stereo

i have been working on my friends montero sport pretty extensively lately. its a 97, we removed the stock amp, all the speakers, and amp and cd changer, we replaced the headunit and cd changer with a sony xplod set, and put infinity 8" mid woofers in the doors. we had to drimmel out the hole to make it fit, we have a 4 channel 300 watt amp running thoes. we also installed 4 audiopipe 3.5" tweeters where the stock tweeters went, and cut hole in the same spot on rear door pannels, we had to drimmel and custom fit them, thoes are running on a 480 watt, 4ch amp. we ran the stereo speaker outs to 4 custom placed tweeters in the headaliner [1.5" infinity] and also have a bazooka 300 watt 1 channel amp rinning a 12" mtx jackhammer [soon to get another same amp and sub] in a custom ported box [plans came from mtx, tested to produce the most volume for the speaker model]. the car has a total of 1280 watts. the car is so loud now, we can park it in the parking lot at school and hear it across campus. close the doors and crank it up and the wipers bounce off the windows. any ways. given my extensive work with monteros. if anyone has any question about stereo installs, grounding points or anything else montero related. [lifted 3", tinted windows, and lots of engine work.] email me at xxfallen2591xx@yahoo.com

Last edited by xxfallen2591xx; 08-23-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by xxfallen2591xx
i have been working on my friends montero sport pretty extensively lately. its a 97, we removed the stock amp, all the speakers, and amp and cd changer, we replaced the headunit and cd changer with a sony xplod set, and put infinity 8" mid woofers in the doors. we had to drimmel out the hole to make it fit, we have a 4 channel 300 watt amp running thoes. we also installed 4 audiopipe 3.5" tweeters where the stock tweeters went, and cut hole in the same spot on rear door pannels, we had to drimmel and custom fit them, thoes are running on a 480 watt, 4ch amp. we ran the stereo speaker outs to 4 custom placed tweeters in the headaliner [1.5" infinity] and also have a bazooka 300 watt 1 channel amp rinning a 12" mtx jackhammer [soon to get another same amp and sub] in a custom ported box [plans came from mtx, tested to produce the most volume for the speaker model]. the car has a total of 1280 watts. the car is so loud now, we can park it in the parking lot at school and hear it across campus. close the doors and crank it up and the wipers bounce off the windows. any ways. given my extensive work with monteros. if anyone has any question about stereo installs, grounding points or anything else montero related. [lifted 3", tinted windows, and lots of engine work.] email me at xxfallen2591xx@yahoo.com
nice! but come on now, you can't say all that and not show us some pictures

lets see em bro!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by redturboeclipse
nice! but come on now, you can't say all that and not show us some pictures

lets see em bro!

well i dont have any pics on my laptop but there are some old videos on youtube, we re did it all and ran new wire for everything. just go to youtube and look for the user xxfallen2591xx all the videos i have on there are of his montero we call tzatsumah. pronounced like sasuma. theres bass test videos updates all that shizz.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 AM

I have a '03 montero and i just bought 2 jbl 12" subs. what do i need to connect to my stock infinity system. I have 2 headrest monitors connected to an in dash dvd if that makes a difference. Thanks

Old 12-22-2011, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by efreestylez5
I have a '03 montero and i just bought 2 jbl 12" subs. what do i need to connect to my stock infinity system. I have 2 headrest monitors connected to an in dash dvd if that makes a difference. Thanks
STOCK INFINITY SYSTEM!??!

why bother, you invested in some subs and you will limit its true potential.

besides the stock system will not have enough juice. our truck has a stock sub there powered by the stock infinity amp. it also powers the other speakers too.

now is ur in dash dvd one of those ones that are standalone, meaning they just play by themselves and not really the main stereo.. or is it an actual full on system, meaning you already removed your stock stereo?

if its the latter, did you use an amp adapter. meaning the harness had this adapter so it connects to that proprietary din cable.. youll easily know because if you didnt do this, chances are your TWEETERS (the small speakers on the window) aren't working.

to answer your question.

you need a separate amp, pull the deck, find the subwoofer output, if you dont have that, youll have to use the rear rca's from the deck, but most new decks esp a dvd deck will have a separate sub out.

if everything is done properly with the equipment you currently have,

you should have your new in dash dvd player not powering ANY speakers, and still have the stock amp powering all speakers, including the stock sub, and you can add your jbl subs with a new amp, so it will be bumping using the most of what you got.

the only way your aftermarket deck powers the speakers is if you used those wires, which is not really the optimal way because that means you totally cut out the stock sub and the tweeters because the xover is built into the stock amp.

yes i am pretty much an expert with the mitsubishi audio system for the mid to early 00 vehicles

Quick Reply: Installing Car Audio Stereo System Subwoofer In 01-06 Montero