Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Problems with A/C

Old 08-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Default Problems with A/C

Hi, I have a 2001 Galant ES and it has been working well but lately the AC has been giving me problems.
When I start the car my AC is icy cold at 45.6 degrees. However, after the car starts running for a while, the AC starts blowing out air that is warmer than the air outside. I've taken it to a shop who told me that theres air in the system, they evacuated the refrigerant, got rid of the air and recharged the R134a, but it didnt help anything. Then they told me I need a new compressor and clutch assembly (didnt say what was wrong with the current one).
I took the car to another shop who pointed out to me that there was no water dripping out underneath the car (and it used to drip ALOT) and the problem is a clogged up tube somewhere and need to unplug the air box and drain the tube. They also pointed out that if the compressor is the problem, then the AC should not be blowing out any cool air at all, let alone something at 45.6F.

I am not sure what I should do next... or what could be problem... if anyone has an idea please let me know!!! Thx!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Try posting when your a/c readings are. On a normally charged sysyem (depending on temp) Low side should be 40 psi and the high 200 psi.