Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaced plugs wires on my 01 galant and still have a misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Default replaced plugs wires on my 01 galant and still have a misfire

I have 92,000 miles on my galant so i took it in for a tune up just because i knew it needed to be done. About a week after that it started acting up took it back they said it was a misfire in #1. They said the plugs that where put in were no good. It fixed the problem for another week took it back and the replaced the wires again. That lasted a week and it happened again each time the code saying it is a misfire this time in #2. Now they are saying they need to flash the computer wich will basicly reprogram the computer of any factory defect. I trust the shop the manager is a good friend. they also changed the rotar button and dis. cap. Could someone please give me some advise on this i am going crazy.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Default RE: replaced plugs wires on my 01 galant and still have a misfire

Were the plugs changed? I'll assume they were. Were they also looked at for gapping? Was your car misfiring before you took it in for a tune up?
Just because the manager is a good friend, doesn't mean that he's the one that did the work. He's there to manage, right?
The plug and wire brand is just as important.
Find out what you have and let us know.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 AM

It was not misfiring before the tune up. I have wondered about the gaping. The plugs and wires are new. I do not remember the name of them but they were recomended by mitsubishi. Right after the tune up when my friend was bringing me my car it acted up and the engine light came on. It imediately cleard up and the engine light went off. It has basiclly been doing this ever since only it misfires alot worse now. It will act up for 30min then drive fine for an hour and it just keeps that same cycle my wife says she thinks it does it more when the car gets warm but i am not sure of this. It does not and has not over heated. I just think it is wierd that you can put new plugs or wires on it and will be ok for about 2 weeks and then act up again everytime saying there is a misfire.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:06 AM

What kind of plugs are they? I ask because, just about every brand has a plug for just about every car but......not every car works with every plug. Does that make sense? I know for the 6g73, I used only Bosch platinums because that's what came stock. Not the Champions, NGK, or any other brand, just Bosch. Same with the 4g63, I use only NGKs.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:22 AM

The plugs and wires are NGK. This morning i pulled the three visible plugs and they were all gaped right. I disconected the battery and this cleared the engine light and it is not missing when i drive just a little while it is idling. This is the same thing it has been doing so it probably will not be long untill it starts missinng bad and the engine light comes back on.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:43 PM

now the transmision acts like it is sliping. Inbetween 2nd and 3rd gear the rpm's will shoot up in the shift if that makes any sense but again it doesn't do it all the time. It does not make a real hard shift it is still smoth but the rpm's shoot up. I am taking it to the dealer on Monday so any input so i can save some money would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:53 PM

Check with your fellow Galant owners on the recommened plugs and wires. It just seems odd that you're all of a sudden getting misfires from a simple tune up like that. If you can, ask your buddy what was done to your car and that may help us understand a little bit better as to what could have caused this. For all we know, they could have just accidentally knocked an electrical plug loose. Don't laugh, it does happen, lol.

Check your tranny fluid for the slipping. The color should be pinkish/redish. Any darker than red should be a concern. Another thing to note is heat. If driving with the car fully warmed up causes the slipping, it's fluid related. If driving with the car still "cold" that can be the torque converter or sensors + fluid +. Heat is a real issue in traffic. If this is just now happening, you may want to get a flush, filter change, and replace the fluid with Mitsu tranny fluid. Sure, you can try the non-Mitsu fluid but there's always a 50/50 chance with those...they all also say that they are within Mitsu/Dodge/GM/Honda, etc. approved. IMHO, stick with the price of the fluid over the price of a rebuilt/new tranny. That's just me though.
Are you the original owner or second owner?

One more thing, what motor do you have in there? I've assumed it to be an automatic since you stated it to be slipping, so no need to ask that
I'm going to do a bit more research on it.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:26 PM

Saturday i disconected the battery for about 4 hours and it cleared the engine light and has not misfired since. I expect it to last that for a couple of days. This is what has happened every time i pick up from the shop. Does this lead you to belive it is a computer problem? I just don't understand. Checked the transmision fluid it was fine and had good color. Your advise is apreciated. Thanks

Old 05-08-2007, 01:25 AM

It actually leads me away from the computer. The computer, once reset, goes into it's default factory setting which is very forgiving. Once it relearns the and reconfigures the maps is where the issue starts back up, correct? It leads me to sensors, wires, and more of the mechanical/electrical than the computer. This is about the misfire.

The slipping tranny can be because a non Mitsu ATF+3 or +4 was used, or the fluid is just breaking down, torque converter could be meeting it's end, or even the tranny, etc.
Does the slipping happen only when the car has had enough time to warm up or does it do it when the motor is "cold" too? Heat is a huge problem especially for auto trannys. So, with heat in mind, give some info on your driving style, driving time, etc. so that I can say for sure that it's your fluid, filter, complete flush that needs to be done and the fluid question too.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:53 PM

yes it takes about a week to act up again after it resets. It has its second pair of new plugs and wires with in a month on it.thefirst set was bosch second is ngk. So i don't see how it could be that but maybe it is a sensor. How can you determine the exact problem when it just has a misfire code? If it is a sensor which one would you guess it to be and where is it located? The reason i ask that is that 2 other people have told me this is a possibility although they are just friends not mechanics. As far as the trany goes i took it to a transmision shop and they said it is sliping between 2nd and 3rd and they have to tear it down to fix it. Thankfully i bought the extended warranty when i bought the car and i think it will be covered. I lucked out because my warranty is up in about 2 weeks. Thanks again for taking to the time to give me some advise.