Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission gear noise! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Default Transmission gear noise! Help!

Have a 94 vr4 awd and had the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd syncros replaced..this is a 6 spd w6mg1 transmisson and had this done 6 months ago. Also had the transfer casereplaced. Well now I hear a granny gear sound thats getting louder from the transmission and its only when I shift into every gear. I thought it might be a throwout bearing but when its parked and in nuetral I rev it up I do not hear the noise. I do hear a clanking knocking tick like its coming from the throw out bearing when at idel. Anyway does it sound like my gears are not meshing up. I am a girl and do not know a thing about transmissions. I love my car and am sick about this. But its definitly coming from the transmission. I can hear it..and when I shift it sounds like its a truck with the granny gear sound. Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Banned
Default RE: Transmission gear noise! Help!

Take it back to the place that you got the tranny done at. There is no reason for that.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:32 AM

Since I bought the parts for the transmission and bought a used transfercase for replacement they do not warrentee the job. I learned fast! But still need an explaination of what it could be?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: vicsin42

Since I bought the parts for the transmission and bought a used transfercase for replacement they do not warrentee the job. I learned fast! But still need an explaination of what it could be?
Yeah that sucks, try doing something simple like changing the fluid w/ bg synco shift? Probably a long shot but it worth shot.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:14 PM

There is already synthetic oil in it, so I don't know what else to do? Just want to find out if it could possibly be needing new gears? What a heck of a notion.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Make sure the tranny fluid its the Mitsubishi 3 Diamond ATF oil or the MT oil(5speed or 6speed)
the 2nd things is go to that shop and talk nicley to the mechanic and tell him, since there is no warany, i dont want you to fix it, all i want its to figur the roblem. dont be shy just go and ask for that favor, some would do it, AWD cars are complex tranny unit, no one cant guess here could be anything sadly, so just have some one experinced check it and make sure he look and is 100% sure of whats the problem could be, where are you located?

Old 11-07-2007, 11:24 PM

I'm located in Washington state. I actually did take it back and they lifted it on a hoist and listened to the noise. They said it might be the input shaft bearing. They said that this transmission is a hard one to fix. Most mechanics do not have the knowledge to fix it so it must be taken to a mechanic who specializes in these types of transmission. I am just going to have it taken out and sent to Kormes or 3SX and have it rebuilt. I am not going to full around with it any longer. I have to be able to drive my car and not worry about having anyone do it again and have it breakdown again and rip me off.
Thanks for helping me try to figure it out. I already have a mopar sythetic oil in it.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: vicsin42
They said it might be the input shaft bearing.
that matches what your describing perfectly. also, as they said, transmissions are a bitch to the ordinary mechanic and not many people know how to take them apart. you can always bring it all the way over here to PA for me to fix =] i just finished up 2 classes on repairing transmissions

Old 11-12-2007, 01:42 AM

estraw likes his cookies, so give him one lol

Old 11-13-2007, 02:03 PM

Im in nor cal , my dad could do it no problems would give you 3 months waranty, too!

but dmn washington its far far far!

dont know what say lady!

here if you wanna ship the tranny to us we get it rebuilt, of curse its a procces but incase you need my email its a.mianaby@gmail.com

Gl...