2014 Outlander Sport Door Locking Problem

Old 06-26-2018, 07:01 PM
Exclamation 2014 Outlander Sport Door Locking Problem

I own a 2014 Outlander Sport and I have a problem. You see some of my doors locks don't respond to either my door locking switch or my either of my keys fobs. The only two doors that do respond are my rear passenger door and my rear hatch. This is very troublesome when I pick up friends or family I have to reach to unlock the doors by hand. I even have to unlock my car with the key fob to disarm it then use the it to manually unlock the door. Does anyone have any idea as to why is happening and perhaps a solution to fixing it. If you have any questions or need clarification just let me know. Please get back to me here or in a personal message.

Thank You

Old 11-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Default Door lock issue

Did they all stop working at the same time or did they seem to go out 1 door at a time?

Old 08-07-2022, 08:41 PM
Post Replacing door lock actuators on 2014 outlander

A bit late, but worth putting on here for others who get this issue.

I had this issue with my 2014 outlander and resolved it on the weekend. This is a known issue with the outlander of this time period and there was some of them recalled so worth checking this first.
Unfortunately mine wasn't recalled so I had to figure out how to solve it.

The problem is the motor in the door lock actuator deteriorates over time and eventually stops working. I had 3 out of my 4 doors with the problem.

The easier way to fix it is go the the wreckers and get another unit to replace the broken one. I did this on the first door, however the part is a bit over $100 for the drivers door so I didn't want to spend this for the others (also who knows how long until this one also exhibits the problem).

Once I had the broken unit available to work on, I opened it up to have a look at how it works. These are glued non-serviceable units so you need to carefully heat gun the perimeter of the unit and pry it open. Once in, there are a bunch of moving parts and springs, so you need to be very careful not to disturb bits. I recommend taking a picture of everything in the case before you start pulling it apart.
Once it is apart, the electric motor can be lifted out of the casing and replaced with a $7 motor from aliexpress. Be sure to double check the dimensions and drive shaft are correct.
When mine arrived I had to reverse the polarity of the electric motor as the cheap motor would lock when i pressed unlock and unlock when i pressed lock. Qualiteeee!
After doing this I installed the unit again and presto, the unit functions again. This is a very fiddly job so make sure you leave plenty of time if you're going down the cheapest path of changing the motor rather than the whole door lock actuator unit.

Final note, if you are doing the $7 brand new option instead of the $100 second hand wreckers option, make sure you check the catch mechanism is still working after re-assembly before you install it and close the door. Pulling the door trim off to get access while the door is stuck closed is not an easy job!

I'll be posting a youtube video of the job in the coming weeks.

Last edited by Adelaide Terry; 08-07-2022 at 08:44 PM. Reason: better spacing
Old 08-08-2022, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Adelaide Terry
A bit late, but worth putting on here for others who get this issue.

I had this issue with my 2014 outlander and resolved it on the weekend. This is a known issue with the outlander of this time period and there was some of them recalled so worth checking this first.
Unfortunately mine wasn't recalled so I had to figure out how to solve it.

The problem is the motor in the door lock actuator deteriorates over time and eventually stops working. I had 3 out of my 4 doors with the problem.

The easier way to fix it is go the the wreckers and get another unit to replace the broken one. I did this on the first door, however the part is a bit over $100 for the drivers door so I didn't want to spend this for the others (also who knows how long until this one also exhibits the problem).

Once I had the broken unit available to work on, I opened it up to have a look at how it works. These are glued non-serviceable units so you need to carefully heat gun the perimeter of the unit and pry it open. Once in, there are a bunch of moving parts and springs, so you need to be very careful not to disturb bits. I recommend taking a picture of everything in the case before you start pulling it apart.
Once it is apart, the electric motor can be lifted out of the casing and replaced with a $7 motor from aliexpress. Be sure to double check the dimensions and drive shaft are correct.
When mine arrived I had to reverse the polarity of the electric motor as the cheap motor would lock when i pressed unlock and unlock when i pressed lock. Qualiteeee!
After doing this I installed the unit again and presto, the unit functions again. This is a very fiddly job so make sure you leave plenty of time if you're going down the cheapest path of changing the motor rather than the whole door lock actuator unit.

Final note, if you are doing the $7 brand new option instead of the $100 second hand wreckers option, make sure you check the catch mechanism is still working after re-assembly before you install it and close the door. Pulling the door trim off to get access while the door is stuck closed is not an easy job!

I'll be posting a youtube video of the job in the coming weeks.
Nice recommendations! Thank you.
I had similar problem with driver side lock. When fob's lock is pressed the lock would make a sound like it locks but in reality it didn't. Lock was replaced by warranty, but now i know what could cause this. Just waiting for other door locks to fail... ;-)

Can you recommend any service actions to prolong lifetime of these locks?

Old 08-08-2022, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by daem0n
Nice recommendations! Thank you.
I had similar problem with driver side lock. When fob's lock is pressed the lock would make a sound like it locks but in reality it didn't. Lock was replaced by warranty, but now i know what could cause this. Just waiting for other door locks to fail... ;-)

Can you recommend any service actions to prolong lifetime of these locks?
I'm not aware of anything you can do preventative maintenance wise as they're sealed units. You have to break into them with a heat gun to replace the motors. When you're in there, there is loads of vaseline type goop over the moving parts so i don't think lubrication is the problem. Just poor quality dc motors.