Adding Music to Server

Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Default Adding Music to Server

First, if this is posted somewhere already, please direct me to the right spot or merge with an old thread. For some reason my search is not working correctly.

Now that that is out of the way, here is my problem. I have an 09 Lancer GTS with 30 GB HDD and the updated CDDB. I know the manual says you can not just save MP3's to the music server. I have been burning Audio CD's by artist and doing a bulk rename since the Artist/album text does not transfer. I don't have a huge library of music, but enough that it will take a few months using this process.

Does anyone know...
1) if there is a way to drop MP3's to the server
2) the correct way to burn/add music files so all of the information transfers.
3) will a DVD audio disk play like an Audio cd so i can add more songs to the DVD and not waste cd's
4) just anything that would make my life easier

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Default RE: Adding Music to Server

What about putting the files on an external hard drive then plugging that into your HD? OR ... instead of burning the disk as an audio disk, burn the MP3 (smaller files)?? Just a thought.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Default RE: Adding Music to Server

the manual says that it can't rip MP3's off of a disc. It will play them but not store them.
I am not aware of a connection into the HDD. If you know of one, please let me know

Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Default CD Text

I've been transferring my mp3 albums over by burning them to CDRW's using CD Text. So if the Gracenote/CDDB recognition fails it'll fall back to getting the Artist/Track names from the CD Text on the disc. To do this I'm using the free burning software ImgBurn. Under the Tools menu is the "Create CD Cue File" option, select that and then drag your mp3's onto the new window. From here you can enable CD Text and base it off of the Tag info within the mp3s, the filename, or custom info that you type in manually. After saving it you can then burn this image, just specify that .cue file as the source image to burn. Alternatively you can just double click the .cue file in explorer and it'll open up ImgBurn. One thing I haven't quite figured out yet is why the MMCS seems to ignore the CD Text in some cases. I'm doing a few discs a day and should hopefully have a better understanding in a few days.

As for your other questions, I haven't found any way to transfer Mp3's directly nor use DVD's for Mp3's. Using rewritable CDs eliminates the waste.

What is the bulk rename process you mentioned? Is that within the MMCS?

Old 02-27-2009, 12:00 PM

I figured out why CD Text is ignored in some cases. It looks like the music server remembers every disc, regardless of whether it was recorded to the server. So when you stick a disc in the 2nd time it doesn't do the 20sec scan for title info. The problem is when you re-burn a disc to add CD TEXT the system doesn't bother checking again. The only solution I've found is to alter the order of the tracks, though I assume you could also change the length of one of the songs. From what I've read it seems the disc is indexed by number of tracks and the length and order of each track. So switch track 1 and 2 for example causes it to be recognized as a new disc and then it picks up the CD Text info. Unfortunately you can't alter the track order on the music server so it'll be stuck in that order unless you want to create a custom (non Original CD) playlist that has the correct ordering.