changed rear brake pads and now they wont work

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Default changed rear brake pads and now they wont work

like the title sais i changed my brake pads today and it was kinda easy but when i went to test drive it my "BRAKE" light stayed on and my brakes didnt work at all! i had to lift up on the e-brake to slow down. let me know what you guys think cuz im stumped. ive been thinking about it all day and cant figure it out so i figured on of you guys would have an answer for me...

Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 AM
Default RE: changed rear brake pads and now they wont work

Did your pedal go down to the floor?
You probally did not pump the pedal when you go in the car.
After you press the caliper piston back to install the pads, you have the pump the brake pedal before you drive.
As for the brake light, after you've pumped the pedal 4-5 times, check the fluid level.
If the pedal is extremely hard, you may have a seized master cylinder.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:20 AM

yes the pedal goes to the floor, ive pumped it atleast 7-8 times, should i just keep pumping till they work?

Old 07-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Pump them some more. There is very little travel for each pump of the pedal. The pedal should firm up. If not, you have bigger problems. I don't know about Mitsubishi carss for sure, but VW brakes are on a diagonal circuit. The left front and right rear are paired together and the right front and left rear are together. If you pushed the rear pistons all the way in on both sides, then the fronts won't work until you have the rear pistons pushed all the way back out. You should always check to see that you have a solid brake pedal after doing brake work prior to going on the road. Be sure to check your brake fluid level as well. You should be fine unless you were low to begin with, as the new thicker pads should raise the fluid level compared to before the brake change.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Joshewuhh

Did your pedal go down to the floor?
You probally did not pump the pedal when you go in the car.
After you press the caliper piston back to install the pads, you have the pump the brake pedal before you drive.
As for the brake light, after you've pumped the pedal 4-5 times, check the fluid level.
If the pedal is extremely hard, you may have a seized master cylinder.
That was my initial thought too.
To add on to this, remove the lid off the brake resevoir to let the fluid move easily.
One more thing. If you have ABS, you have to have the car on, not necessarily running but on so that the ABS pump is on too. If you pumped with the car off, all you did was pump fluid from the resevoir to the pump and not all the way around.
Ok, last thing. If you pumped with the car on and let the resevoir empty itself, then you may have to bleed the brakes now because air may have made its way around.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:16 PM

well i just bought my lancer and the brakes make noise already so i dont know if its the pads or what so.

[/align]