Head Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Default Head Light Issues

I've been chasing a head light issue on my friend's 2000 Eclipse for a little while now. When you switch on theheadlights, they do not illuminate. They do come onevery now and again for only a few seconds though and cut right back off. like one out of everyone hundred tries. The high beams workperfect all of the time though, so no issues with them. I've slaved in a new dimmer switch on the column, but it did not fix the problem. Next I slaved in a different combonation switch (the whole columnswitch and board behind the steering wheel)thinking the circuit board on the one installed was bad, still did not fix the issue. I checked the fuses and they seem fine. I've checked the relay by swaping it with the high beam and parkinglight relays stilldid not fix it.I cleaned all of the grounds I could find. I think they share a common ground with the high beams though. It seemsthat there is no power getting to the relay becausei cannot hear itclick when I turn the switch on, even during theswaping of the relays. The original relay that was in the low beam position works in both the high beam and parking lightslots, soI know the relay is fine. I'm puzzled as to why they still do seem to workonce in a blue moon though and cut right back off. Sounds like a grounding or resistance issue, but it's beating me up. Just looking to see if some one out there may be able tohelp me out with some advice.Any and all inputon this is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Shreff

Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Default RE: Head Light Issues

Yes guys there are 2 Shreff's in this world...Scary isn't it?!! LOL....Just like the Stifflers, we're everywhereLOL...This guy is my brother and I couldn't help him figure this headlight issue out and suggested he come here for some help...He's an airplane mechanic for Gulfstream so this must be a pain in the dick to figure out.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:29 PM

you said it sounds like a grounding problem and i agree. have you substituted a ground? or tightened any of the known grounds? intermittant flickering to me means intermit. connection above failed component.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:03 AM

Yeah I removed to bolts to securing the grounds, burnished the holes, and reinstalled the grounds with no success. I'm starting to lean towards a broken or burned wire. The only thing I'm workingwith is a schematic from a hanes manual that is very vague. I'm trying to lead away from ringing out the whole harness.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 PM

hello!! im going to suggest one thing. over the many years i have worked on mitsubishi, that particular model of eclipse did have headlamp issues. 99.9% of them were due to the connector for the headlight bulb melting, usually caused by installing improper bulbs that get too hot and melt the connector. sometimes a visual inspection wont due. simply remove each connector and inspect it closely. a melted connector will cause that exact problem. mitsubishi sells replacement connectors. but you will have to wire them into the harness. it sounds like you covered everything else, so check that! i have replaced dozens of those connectors! good luck!! greg.....