My Mitsubishi Eclipse RS, does it need a timing belt now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Default My Mitsubishi Eclipse RS, does it need a timing belt now?

My Mitsubishi Eclipse RS, does it need a timing belt now?
It is almost at 60.000 miles. It is a 2003 model.
On the net it says that it is recommended but not required. What does that mean?

I just moved to a new area and now I have no garage. I love the place but mice ruined my heater, fan etc...two times and I just put on four new snow tires. I am really struggling to pay these bills so I would really not like a thousand dollar bill right now on my timing belt.

Please tell me that I can wait. If not tell the truth...

Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 AM

The maintenence manual suggests that you change the belt(s)... there are two of them in there... when the vehicle odometer hits 60k miles. I had mine replaced at 87k and I know people who have driven their cars over 100k without incident.
The belts are similar to the rubber based belts your car uses to power the alternator, ac pump, etc. and as time goes on the materials in the belt begin to wear and lose their elasticity. When this happens they begin to form cracks and lose their strength. Eventually they will break and the timing of the pistons with the valves stops which can cause catastrophic results. Replacing the belts will cost you about $500. (give or take depending on who performs the work, if you need any other parts like a tensioner, water pump, etc... but replacing the engine or rebuilding the engine could be well over $1000. if the belt snaps.
You can probably drive your car another ten or twenty thousand miles but if you can spend the money for the maintenance you should do it. It's a classic case of pay now or pay later or how lucky do you you feel?
Good luck,

Wally
2007 Galant