Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Mods to start???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Default Mods to start???

Hey guys. I'm sure there is already a thread somewhere in here about this, but i'm not gonna look forever to find it... Just curious what are some good mods to start with. Not goin for all the power in the world, just a little gain is good, but most of all mpg. I drive this car 156 miles back and forth to work every day and i want the best fuel economy i can get, along with a few ponies too...

Im sure intake and exhaust are the two big ones to start with. I've always been a fan of K&N. Anybody have any objections?

The exhaust i don't have a clue about.I haven't done anything with imports so i don't know what good for them. Thinkin maybe borla or something like that? I want something high quality that's gonna help the motor, and sound GREAT!!! I don't want that "pissed off lawn mower" sound...

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Rob
Banned
Default RE: Mods to start???

If you're looking to maximize your mpg, get a hybrid.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:01 AM

Ok, well that includes spending a lot more money and buyin another vehicle, which i need like a hole in the head...

I didn't ask for ideas on other vehicles, i asked for ideas on the vehicle i HAVE. Anybody else that wants to pitch in would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

other than intake, exhaust, headers, there isnt much you can do on a non-turbo car. And yes this has been discussed over and over. It not like itwould have taken time to do a search. I found topics in like 30 seconds.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:57 PM

Ok. Wow. Didn't know you guys are so eager to help on here... I did look a little and found a few things, but didn't find all that much.

BTW, my car is a turbo model.

Thanks for all the help...

Old 01-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

ok well if its a turbo that is a whole different thing. The reason we get annoyed sometimes is this car has been aound for years and these types of small questions are asked almost once a week. So it just gets repetitive. But the other thing i would do to start off is a MBC and a boost gauge. Then run about 15psi on that, youll feel a noticable difference. From there you can go witha new fuel pump and Hard pipe the IC piping. Then you can run alittle more boost. After that you start to get into a turbo upgrade and the cost starts to go up

Old 01-05-2008, 04:11 PM

I understand that it gets repetitive and i don't blame ya on that. I would just much rather get a thread like this and be able to ask questions as i go. Helps me a bunch. Sorry for the inconvienence...

A boost controller is a big help huh? Like i said, i've never had anything to do with imports so i don't know the first thing. Will that help with power and fuel economy or more just power? And how expensive are they? And what are a couple good brands?

Again, sorry that you've gone through this a million times, but i DO appreciate any help i can get!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Yea a MBC will help alot because your car only runs about 10-12psi and that extra 3-5psi will see a large increase. With any increase in power of course will cause a small decrease in fuel economy however that the price you pay for power. But with just the MBC its gonna be almost negligable. The cost can average from $20-$100 depending on the quality you go with. The couple of name brands that are proven to work well are these

The Joe P xz MBC which is only $45 is nice
http://www.joepmbc.com/mbc.html

Dejon MBC Shown third down for $50 (comes with a mounting bracket)
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclgages.htm

Hallman MBC
http://www.dsmparts.com/customer/pro...=10&page=1

To me i like the Joe P the best out of them since there are so many people that use them and love them.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Rob
Banned

And to go with that, get yourself a bov from a 1g dsm. Your stock plastic pos won't hold over 13 psi succesfully.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Rob

And to go with that, get yourself a bov from a 1g dsm. Your stock plastic pos won't hold over 13 psi succesfully.
good call.

Quick Reply: Mods to start???