Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

very difficult exhaust question (results may vary)

Old 09-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Default very difficult exhaust question (results may vary)

okay. whats up people. havent been posting for a while cause my damd car is giving me a headache.

being that it is a 99, yeah, rust and old parts gotta come off sooner or later, i understood that ... but what happened to me was completely insane.

there was already an existing hole near the oxygen sensor in my exhaust when i bought it. i tried to get it welded shut, and some kid decided to weld it together and saw a crack near the catalytic converter. he decided to weld that crack. BIG MISTAKE.

well recently, the entire pipe snapped off the cat converter. when i took it apart, i pulled out the entire exhaust and took a look at it. it was just different exhaust piping welded together, so were the hangers. whats worse is it pissed me off so much i cut the oxygen sensor.

here comes the fun part ... all the bolts are stripped and rusted, so i cut the downpipe. yes, call me stupid.

now, heres what i need advice with. should i get ...

1. downpipe, cat converter, o2 housing, o2 sensor, exhaust system
2. downpipe that eliminates cat converter then exhaust system
3. sell my car then kick my dog.

im looking for performance WITHOUT the arrogant loud excessive noise like honda boys. gotta be all bolt on, and it supports a bigger turbo i plan to drop in the future.

i researched some good brands, but i'd be paying for a name ... like greddy ... ridiculously expensive. dont get me wrong, i wanna get more bang for my buck, but holy hell its expensive.
and apex'i has silencers ... meaning it's gotta be ridiculously loud.

HELP ME!!!!!!!!! ..... please.

oh, and car is a 99 eclipse gsx

Old 09-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Default RE: very difficult exhaust question (results may vary)

I say 1 unless you just want or need a cat. If you don't have to worry about emissions, then go without a cat. It will be louder, but not honduh loud. Since the compression is lower it will sound better than them, but.....depending on the exhaust can that you get, you may get the annoying drone while at a steady speed.

Here's what I have, Hahn o2 eliminator downpipe, high flow Magnaflow cat, and a Magnaflow dual tip exhaust can, with fabbed piping from the cat to the can. It's 3 inches from the turbo all the way back and I don't even notice the exhaust tone much (radio off). Giving it some gas and it will get louder but not loud as it does when I go WOT. My buddy's Apexi is loud as poop whether it's at half WOT or WOT (no cat). The tone sounds good but it's too loud IMO. I've been in his car too...it's loud.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:16 AM

for some reason, magnaflow doesnt sell a catback for 99 eclipse gsx's ... they were my first choice.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:39 AM

Im running the apexi n1 exhaust with a test pipe on my gst and it sounds really good in my opinion. It really isnt that loud and doesnt sound ricey at all. It just depends if your wanting to pass emissions.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 AM

okay, screw it all, our world is close to being depleted anyway ... so forget the cat converter.

does anyone know what hte deal is with the o2 housing? anyone have it in their car? id actually like to see how it fits in...

Old 09-07-2007, 06:44 PM

I would say go without the cat its no good unless you need to pass emissions and in my opinion magnaflow has a much better sounding exhaust than anyone else but i hate the loud can noise just personal opinion i may be the only one idk haha now as far as them not selling a catback kit you can depending on how creative you want to get buy just a muffler that fits and have the rest piped back to the downpipe taking away the cat and the resonator which is what i had on my 05 Lancer ES and it sounded good not too loud at a steady idle and when i gunned it it was louder but not like a civc fart can loud