Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

2003 Outlander multiple several interior buttons dont work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 04:30 PM
Default 2003 Outlander multiple interior buttons dont work.

Hello, first time posting here.

I recently got a 2003 Outlander for a friend who needs an inexpensive first car, I got most of the small bugs worked out, but one that is kinda stumping me is that many of the momentary push button switches in the cabin dont work. The biggest issue are the 3 climate control buttons, the defrost is off and never turns on or lights up, the AC works and the AC button is lit up as long as the fan is on, the re-circulation button is lit up and I assume is working, but pushing any of these buttons does absolutely nothing, in fact turning off the AC can only be done by turning off the fan ****. The cruise control also appears to be on according to the dash light, but nothing I do with the buttons on the cruise control lever will turn it off.

The car had an aftermarket radio, they had also blown the radio fuse, disconnected the 12v dash outlet, and re-appropriated that wire for the radio instead of just replacing the fuse... I corrected all that back to factory and made sure the plugs into the HVAC control were tight and none of them had popped out of their sockets, but the buttons are still not working.

Any ideas on things I could try or look at? This car is going to a tiny Filipino girl who is always cold, and as it is the heater basically does not work because the super could AC drowns it out, so fixing the other stuff would be a nice bonus, but I would REALLY like to get the AC switch working to turn on and off the AC.

Edit: Dont know if it matters but all the buttons with issues are momentary push buttons, and almost all of them in the cabin are not working, none of the physical switches or latching buttons/***** have any issues. Anyone know if the momentary cabin switches reference back to a common ground?

Last edited by Joel Espinoza; 05-13-2019 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Additional info