Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

Power loss after tapping into stereo power wire.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Default Power loss after tapping into stereo power wire.

I took my Zoombak gps tracker to a professional car audio store to have them attach the wiring kit to power the unit to a live wire in the car.
They said they wired it into the stereo wiring. One strange thing I noticed is that the kit that comes with the Zoombak is a fused red/black set of wires, yet after t he install, there is now a third black wire coming from the area where the other 2 wires went and that 3rd wire is connected to the chassis. Why not just use the black wire from the kit to go to the chassis?
Anyway, what they did does seem to be powering the device, however, after leaving the audio store, driving 10 miles, and parking the car, the car would no longer start. It had minimimal power and not enough to power the starter. I took a guess and snipped the 3 wires, and tried starting the car again. This time the car seemed to have more power, but still would not start. After waiting about 2 minutes, I tried starting it again, and voila.. it started with no problem at all!
What could have caused this problem? I stlll need to power that gps unit. It is labeled to have an input between 9 - 18 VDC and an output of 5.4 VDC / 750mA
I think that is about as much of a draw as a cigarette lighter. The car is a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant.