Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

Starter disable

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Default Starter disable

Lately Ive been havin a problem with my brother-in-law "borrowing" the keys and takin off, abusing the car. (luckily not the eclipse Id be doin time for aggrivated assault) I was considering a starter disable system. Im really not willing to put money into an alarm for this car, but I was wondering if I cut the ignition wire, put the live end (starter) to the live connector of a switch, put the switch connector to the key end, and find a ground, would that work? kinda like flippin a switch to turn off a light? Ive wired up custom lighting in my dsm but I dont wanna mess with what Im usin to get to work with everyday. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Pretty much, just put the switch somewhere out of site but not ridiculous to find. A guy on another site I visit used one of those remote switches you use for driving lights so he could engage it or disengage it for servicing without worrying about it, and for ease.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 PM

I will just find a Racing Battery Claps. It is use by racers to disconnect the positive cable line from the battery. It's QUICK Release Clap (did i spelled that right). You disconnect it from the positive or negative. I prefer negative so u won't damage your on board system.

If the brother in law steal your car again call a cop. tell the cop that your car is missing but don't tell them it's your brother in law who is driving it. He will learn his lesson, he will go to jail if you press charges.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 PM

The thing is he has a deal worked out to use the car to get to work. So all he really has to do is decide he doesnt feel like coming home. He can stay out til 2-3am and have another state pig follow him doin 85-90 down the highway again. And since the cars not in my name, I cant call it in. Its my girl's car (his sister, I wouldnt be caught dead owning that thing) so if I get him arrested Im the ******* but he abuses the car itself by beating the hell out of it, nevermind abusing the privilage by leavin trash, old food and once or twice even a beer bottle in the seat. And all the **** that gets messed up, falls on me to get fixed or it never will.

Lord knows he will never even be a passenger in my dsm. Id rather drive a yaris than disrespect my eclipse like that.